just a couple casts

How many Spools Do You Carry

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Years ago when I started in the salt, I used used two spools - a full sink and an intermediate. Then a buddy turned me on to using floating lines at times so I started with those too. The problem is that my reels all have only two spools and some of those are older, discontinued models and I'm having trouble finding spare spools. So my question is, how many spools/types of line do you folks carry when fishing the salt in New England?

On the boat it's no problem, but two extra spools (3 total) can get a bit bulky in the pack while wading.

I’ve it found more convenient and not much more expensive to have a rod set up for each floating and intermediate. Especially when the bites on. As easy as it to swap spools, it’s so much easier to grab a pole and start casting right away 

I carry two spares at all times. They go on pouches on a surf belt. Float, int, and fast sink. You can loop heads but I'm not dealing with that headache, especially at night and in current. 

4 hours ago, just a couple casts said:

Years ago when I started in the salt, I used used two spools - a full sink and an intermediate. Then a buddy turned me on to using floating lines at times so I started with those too. The problem is that my reels all have only two spools and some of those are older, discontinued models and I'm having trouble finding spare spools. So my question is, how many spools/types of line do you folks carry when fishing the salt in New England?

On the boat it's no problem, but two extra spools (3 total) can get a bit bulky in the pack while wading.

I don't over think it.  2 spools one floating one sink tip.

Can’t tell you how useful the floater will be.

Hear you on your current set up.Ok it’s a bit more weight just toss in a complete reel and a spare spool

I hardly used  to,fish floaters . Big big mistake.

Mike

10 hours ago, paddie said:

I’ve it found more convenient and not much more expensive to have a rod set up for each floating and intermediate. Especially when the bites on. As easy as it to swap spools, it’s so much easier to grab a pole and start casting right away 

I also do this at times on the boat. But last year my buddy was really out fishing me with a faster sinking (deeper) line than my intermediate. I had the float and the intermediate rigged - full sink was in a box at home because I have no 2nd extra spare spool. Those things are really pricey on the expensive reels so I only opted for 1 extra at the time. Now I'm having trouble finding a spare. 

1 spare spool with an intermediate clear line.Also,a 15' section of LC13 with whipped loops to put on the lines for a sinker if needed.I've cut that LC13 & rewhipped the loops on the water[wading] if that was too long.

2 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

Can’t tell you how useful the floater will be.

Hear you on your current set up.Ok it’s a bit more weight just toss in a complete reel and a spare spool

I hardly used  to,fish floaters . Big big mistake.

Mike

Ah, Why didn't I think of that. Just throw in another complete reel. That I have!

on the boat, as many as I want, but usually it's completely rigged rods, I've have 3 10 wts outfits setup and on board at the same time, lol

Depends on location/water type, season, species. 

Freshwater salmon/steelhead - heads + tips (one spool).  Dial in depth via choice of head, tip.

Freshwater streams - floating line with long leader can suffice for surface, subsurface presentations (one spool)

Saltwater flats - floater or intermediate or both (one or two spools, depending on location)

Saltwater boat - 2-3 rods, 2-3 reels, 2-3 spools (float, int full sink shooting heads, or specific lines for specific rods)

Saltwater surf - depends on location, depth, species; I might bring an extra spool or might bring one spool and 2-3 heads (shooting heads or skagit + tips).

I carry spare reels. For beach tarpon I carry abel super 11/12ns  with intermediate and type III heads on braided mono. For jetty stuff I have super 9s with type III and type VI tungsten heads on braided mono. I use a straight splice to connect my heads and running lines, I don't swap them out. I'm particular about my rigging.