Adrianb

Buying Van Staals

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

How safe is it to buy a Van Staal or anything for that matter. Like how do I know the seller won't ship me a lemon After paying 500$?

Can’t speak for everyone, but this site is based on good, honest people, at least with any of the transactions i’ve done.  Not sure about other social media sites. You do need to be careful.

Agree, I’ve bought a handful of Van Staals from the BST, spending far North of $500 several times. Every transaction has gone super smooth, members of this site are top notch wether you’re looking for advice, or to buy/sell something.

Personally, only the early USA versions, (old gen). I bought the sizes I would use, years ago, and never had the need to replace, full disclosure, I may collect a few VS’s also..

3 hours ago, Adrianb said:

How safe is it to buy a Van Staal or anything for that matter. Like how do I know the seller won't ship me a lemon After paying 500$?

Always ask when it had it's last factory service. Look at service records (if available) for details. 

I bought my staal in the BST and got what I payed for.......I find that BST sellers on this site don’t BS.....you can also get the reel a little cheaper here if you don’t mind s little cosmetic damage.

19 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Can’t speak for everyone, but this site is based on good, honest people, at least with any of the transactions i’ve done.  Not sure about other social media sites. You do need to be careful.

Ditto.. I purchased two VS' s from the BST forum.  Not to say every transaction will be the same. 

From this site. I would be pretty comfortable buying a vs or zb. Worst case, get it serviced and see what happens. The major components are basically bullet proof. You might be on the hook for some seals and bearings but I wouldn’t worry about that. 

Bought a gold VS150 and a Torque 5 off of here and both have served me well.  Don't think anything I bought here was not as advertised.  And I've bought a lot of stuff.   

21 hours ago, Adrianb said:

Lots of pictures before buying will tell a lot, ask for the serial number and call VS/ZB to check if it's lost or stolen and perhaps any service records.  Unless you're buying brand new, the SOL BST is likely safer than any other social media site/list.  I've bought and sold a lot of things here, never had an issue.  Can't say that about FB.  I also prefer to buy/sell with PayPal.     

I have bought a used VS from this site and it was a very positive experience.  that being said once you get the reel send if for service, may cost a little but you basically have a new reel after, minus any cosmetics.  That is once of the nice parts about the VS.

I bought a used VS from a member on this groups BST threads and was told it was near mint/used a handful of times. I picked it up in person and it seemed fine. First fish i caught the handle started going backwards and anti reverse bearing was shot. Brought it in for service and the internals were a mess and the body had water in it. $87 dollars later it was good as new but there is always a chance the seller isn't telling you the truth.

I did buy another used VS on another social media site and the reel was a 10/10 mechanical and cosmetic as described.

Sometimes you get what you're told, sometimes you dont.