Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hook I

AC tip to reduce your unit stress

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Half close or completely close your AC duct to rooms your not using . Extra bedroom , lower living level this will give somewhat more cool air to the living area your using . Especially the room with the thermostat control . 

No offense, but I thought everyone knew that. Shut registers, close doors to rooms not being used.

Works the same in the winter.

On a somewhat related note for yer garage beer fridge. Fill gallon jugs with water and occupy any space that isn't beer. Empty space is wasted effort for a fridge.

I would definitely say that owning a home is a lifetime of learning . As my kids all own their own home = call the old man for guidance . They live in a world of the disposable , coming from a world of try to fix 1st to save cost ( to an extent ) it’s just how we grew up . 

I really like the beer box  in the garage hint !   Thanks 

For rooms almost never used, throttling down the ducts manual volume damper in the attic may be more efficient than closing a register. There is a lot of pro/con internet theory on filling up the fridge or freezer to save money. Running the fridge at 37 or 38 verses 35 will absolutely save you money, and there is no reason to go below 0 in the freezer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Sounds like a good way to unbalance your system and possibly cause damage to the blower motor or compressor. Blocking off air ducts makes the fan work harder  to move the air it's designed to. Air ducts can only flow a certain cfm of air so your not helping get more air to rooms you want just putting more drag on components.  The best way to keep your home cool is to keep all blinds and curtains closed and have all  bedroom doors and vents open to move as much air from the home across the coil to condition and dehumidify. 

Edited by DrewStuch

9 hours ago, DrewStuch said:

Sounds like a good way to unbalance your system and possibly cause damage to the blower motor or compressor. Blocking off air ducts makes the fan work harder  to move the air it's designed to.

This....

Leave the registers open.

I disagree. I will stand by that. I cant speak to newer hi-tech systems, but closing doors and registers for forced air heating, as well as turning down room thermostats and/or radiators has never screwed up an old system that I'm aware of. 

Same as the fridge thing. It''s a simple thing that someone decides they can say it's not true. But never can prove. If your fridge is empty, and you open the door, you lose x amount of cool. That empty space then is filled with warmer air. Then the fridge has to cool that now warm space again. If that space is occupied by a cold mass, there's less space for the warm air, and the cold mass will help to cool the new, warm air. 

It's simple physics. Put one frozen thing in a cooler six times it's size. Ya get it? 

6 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

I disagree. I will stand by that.

Closing registers in a forced air heating and cooling system only increases the pressure the air handler has to deal with.

Chances are you are forcing air out of leaky portions of duct work. With a permanent magnet motor, you are decreasing its speed, with a PCM motor you are causing it to ramp up against the pressure and use more electricity.

On 7/22/2019 at 2:49 PM, woowoo2 said:

Closing registers in a forced air heating and cooling system only increases the pressure the air handler has to deal with.

Chances are you are forcing air out of leaky portions of duct work. With a permanent magnet motor, you are decreasing its speed, with a PCM motor you are causing it to ramp up against the pressure and use more electricity.

This is 100% correct

as far as the misters spraying the outdoor units it will help for a couple years, then you will be replacing a unit rotted out or packed full of minerals from the water.

Spray out the coils to keep them clean but no constant water.

17 hours ago, ted527 said:

This is 100% correct

as far as the misters spraying the outdoor units it will help for a couple years, then you will be replacing a unit rotted out or packed full of minerals from the water.

Spray out the coils to keep them clean but no constant water.

if you cover your unit in the winter that will rot your unit for sure over time , have not covered it since 2007 when it was installed no problems , reducing area cooling area will help the unit stress . , no matter how much you close the vents  in the room there is still air passing out so its not like its closed completely , sure hose the outside fins helps   

Best things to reduce stress on an ac unit is to have clean air filters,  clean coils and proper refrigerant charge.  No need to close vents off, that's just silly talk right there.