Adrianb

Spring Run

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Well I should’ve joined Bluefish online lol.  

Can’t see at night so the fall run is what works best for me. They seem to feed  all day in the fall.  

Epicly sad!! Fishery is in bad shape. Don't get me wrong, living in pa now I appreciate time just spent on the coast. I caught a handful of legal bass to around #20. Killed 1 fish that swallowed a mag darter real deep. Don't get me wrong the family and I love to eat bass, but i wouldn't killed the fish if it wasn't bleeding real bad. At times found lots of shorts which is a good thing. Bluefish,, saw alot of happy people this spring catching. Hate them trashing my plugs and chopping up my bucktails, was never really a fan. But, the old man and I got into a big school of all #15+ fish one morning that was memorable. Craziest thing I saw this spring? Found a dead loggerhead turtle on the beach 1 morning that was bigger than a hood of a car. Huge, wish I would haven't left my phone in the truck

Had to put in more time to find them. Found my best fish in the most uninhabitable looking waters and chowed on sandeel profiled lures with the obligatory redgill rascal. Night bite has been good and they loved small metal lips around slack. Had one very consistent night at incoming last week and got into what would qualify as good fish. Overall fishing up to this point has been decent with surf and yak. 

This is probably the worst season I can recall. I’ve fished a lot but have not been able to get into a good fish producing groove.  I’ve experienced  Many trips without any fish at all which is extremely frustrating. Not to the point where I’m giving it up but I’m not driving myself to get out because the fish just aren’t there. Other anglers I’m friendly with are similarly frustrated. We are all Hoping that things will improve. 

Pretty dismal spring, fished on average 3-4 nights a week and managed 3 legal fish all on soft plastics, biggest topping out at 34". All released. Had two weeks of zero fish, not even a small schoolie. Haven't seen anything over 25/26" since early May. I've pretty much given up on seeing anything of size until the fall, but even last fall was pretty awful. I've switched to a light set up and basically finesse fishing for schoolies. 

A lot of small fish from the 2015 year class.  Quality fish were scarce.

There was a shot of big fish under the bunker pods in early June, but it passed Fire Island in about a week--or might have lasted a little longer, but bad weather made the ocean unfishable by boat.  I didn't get in on that one, because it was all snag-and-drop or trolling mojos, and I do neither, but a lot of 40s and a few over 50 were killed that week.

I tasked myself with learning a few new spots and it paid off. I picked apart these spots to understand the bottom contour and structure. I caught a lot of fish up to 30# but i really struggled landing any big fish. I hooked into quite a few and I dropped every single one. Im the king of the quick release if you ask my buddies.

I worked much harder for my fish this year than last.

Not as productive a Spring as last year but still did pretty good.  Maybe only 1 or 2 skunked outings.  Fishing from land and kayak I was able to see 1st hand that while everyone on land had thought stocks had declined because the bite was slower than last year being out on the kayak told another story.  Fish were stacked, and big fish too.  They just were not moving in close enough to be reached from land.