AndyV123

Must have lures for the canal.

Rate this topic

70 posts in this topic

Pencil poppers in white, yellow, mackerel pattern.  In medium and large sizes.  Heavy jigs for bouncing the bottom 3 though 6 ounces.  White and mackerel magic swimmers.  I just fished the canal and would imagine a slow sinking needlefish would of caught fish.

Posted (edited) · Report post

All you really need is a pencil popper, a slow sink magic swimmer/ SP Minnow and a jig (bucktail or al Gags).

Color doesn’t really matter. White or green with white/silver bottom will work. 

Good luck. 

Edited by TimS
Please don’t refer people to other sites when they ask a question here - thanks

You should call ahead of time and make sure it is still open to fishing. They have been considering closing it. As far as lures, they guys above covered it. I would highly recommend bringing a knife or a gun if you have one. 

Heavy white pencil for distance

Big ghost Stick Shadd

Anything else that will make you feel better, but those 2 are all I really ever use.  I've never done good jigging there.  Definitely user error.

3 mins ago, Malsow said:

You should call ahead of time and make sure it is still open to fishing. They have been considering closing it. As far as lures, they guys above covered it. I would highly recommend bringing a knife or a gun if you have one. 

I’m hoping this is a joke. Canal is not closed and DO NOT bring a gun. 

People make the canal seem worse than what it is.  Everyone was nice to me for the most part recommending what to fish and how to fish it.  Even met a guy and exchanged numbers and he pointed me in the direction of topwater action, if he is a member thank you.  Just be smart and respectful and you should be okay.  To be fair we did avoid the maritime area which I heard was crazy packed with people.

On 7/21/2019 at 1:18 PM, fishtheeast said:

All you really need is a pencil popper, a slow sink magic swimmer/ SP Minnow and a jig (bucktail or al Gags).

Color doesn’t really matter. White or green with white/silver bottom will work. 

Good luck. 

This. White or yellow guppy pencil, some

magic swimmers, and the 17 size SP in mac. 

Any topwater you can bury with a cast 

Sinking  stick shad 

Big and med magic swimmer 

5oz gags whip it fish white and Mac

5 oz canal bait and tackle savage sandeel Mac and glow

bug spray  

A whole lot of high grade marijuana to deal with the stress.  A 4oz and 5oz whip it fish, pencil popper and a magic swimmer might help too..... 

Edited by Aaron Barmmer

Edited by TimS
You agreed not to post knowingly false information here when you joined - it’s obvious you are trolling, if it continues you won’t be able to post here any longer.