Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dc1874

Never Turn Back To Ocean!!!

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

(from Fox news)

A North Carolina father of six died on Friday after he was struck by an "intense wave" that knocked him to the ground and broke his neck, according to his wife. 

Lee Dingle, 37, of Raleigh was playing on the beach at Oak Island with some of his children when he was hit by the powerful wave in a "freak accident," his wife, Shannon Dingle, wrote.

"Lee was playing on the beach with three of our kids yesterday, and an intense wave hit him just right to slam his head into the sand and break his neck," she said. 

After breaking his neck, the 37-year-old's throat swelled, depriving his brain of oxygen.

Edited by TimS
added text removed link

So true,I almost got swept off a rock in Narragansett when I looked away,but just caught sight of the wave before it hit.  I walked away shaking. 20ft drop would have killed me. You can't be too careful.

Tragic, I 've heard of folks diving into waves and hitting sand and incurring neck injuries but most times when they get you from behind its a knockdown and you crawl out of it. Sad.

Really sorry to hear this. It’s so terrible when a day of fun becomes a tragic accident. Just heartbreaking. RIP.

19 hours ago, John P said:

So true,I almost got swept off a rock in Narragansett when I looked away,but just caught sight of the wave before it hit.  I walked away shaking. 20ft drop would have killed me. You can't be too careful.

Beavertail? The same happened to me at Beavertail a bunch of years ago. 

Very sad to hear.  I used to lifeguard on Block Island years ago, saw lots of people injured by waves.  Happens in the blink of an eye.  Horrible situation in front of his wife and kids to see.  

I've too have experienced the Beavertail smack down, those rocks aint soft and the barnacles aren't smooth.

Here in Cape May there are many pending law suits due to "extreme  waves" .The suits are based on the fact that when the Army corp. of engineers built the jetties at CM inlet it caused beach erosion on the CM beaches creating these extreme waves. The waves have caused serious injuries over the years.