Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WeeHooker

Safety Flare or light needed?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Cleaning out my 16' Mirrocraft (open) tin boat yesterday and found my flares had swelled and split.  This is the first boat that I've ever stocked flares on and am ( even after some net research) honestly unsure they are required by law

So can anyone tell me what's required and or what they recommend?

The boat is primarily used in lakes, rivers and ponds vs open ocean. Rarely at night. I'm thinking reliable and low maint if I need to carry something.

Can I get away with a good flashlight?

Thoughts appreciated.

Probably depends on your state. Common sense says a light and a whistle minimum esp if you are out at night. 

For your boat in New Jersey:

https://www.njsp.org/marine-services/equipment-checklist.shtml#motorboats26

Motorboats 16 Feet To Less Than 26 Feet

• Personal Flotation Devices: One Type I, II, III, or V Coast Guard approved wearable personal flotation device must be carried for each person aboard. They must be readily accessible and of an appropriate size for the intended wearer. In addition, the vessel must carry an approved Type IV throwable device which should be immediately available.
  • Fire Extinguisher: One Type B-I Coast Guard approved fire extinguisher must be carried when no fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in machinery spaces. Extinguishers are not required for outboard motorboats less than 26 feet in length and of open construction. No portable extinguishers are required if an approved fixed fire extinguishing system is installed in machinery spaces.
  • Backfire Flame Arrestor: A Coast Guard approved backfire flame arrestor is required for inboard gasoline motors which are not exposed to the atmosphere above the level of the gunwale.
  • Muffling System: An effective muffling system is required for the exhaust of each internal combustion engine. Unmodified outboards usually meet legal requirements.
  • Sound Signaling Devices: A vessel of less than 39.4' (12 meters) must be able to provide a means of making an efficient sound signal but is not required to carry a whistle or bell.
  • Visual Distress Signals (Coastal Waters Only): All boats 16 feet or more in length must carry devices aboard at all times. 
    Boaters must carry: EITHER
    1. devices that are suitable for day use and devices suitable for night use, OR
    2. devices that can be used for both day and night use.
  • Navigation Lights: Navigation lights must be kept in serviceable condition and be displayed between sunset and sunrise and at times of restricted visibility.

I know in my state some lakes ,ponds could be consider private or state water. Depending what it is consider  might require certain rules/laws to be required. You need to figure this out depending your location .

I'm in MA . On a whim, I just measured the boat and it comes in at 15' 10.5". I already carry a bailer, fire extinguisher and a WP flashlight so I think I'm good afterall.

So maybe on paper you don’t need them, but why not play it safe when on the ocean? One day your ass might depend on those flares. I’m always puzzled when people choose to skimp on or simply not carry items that are intended for life saving or general well being in the event of distress. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 hours ago, Seadogg said:

So maybe on paper you don’t need them, but why not play it safe when on the ocean? One day your ass might depend on those flares. I’m always puzzled when people choose to skimp on or simply not carry items that are intended for life saving or general well being in the event of distress. 

Point taken. It's a fair one too.  That said, this boat has seen what might be considered open water maybe 5 hrs in 10 years. 98%+ of it's use is in freshwater ponds and a SW local river. Rarely is it more than 100 yds from the beach. Given I already cary  two motors, a radio, distress flag, whistle, airhorn, flashlight, lifejackets, throw PFD, etc, I'm willing to accept the risk that I won't need a flare.

Edited by WeeHooker

My guess it's about how "safe" you wanted to be on the water. 

If it's my friend, he would ignore 99% of these item and he will never have a problem. He has all the 'luck'.

On 7/21/2019 at 4:50 PM, Seadogg said:

I see it often when people opt for the smaller fire extinguisher vs the larger to save a few bucks. A fire, while remote can really ruin your day no?