Adrianb

Setups for Montauk

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Just wanted to get a general feel for what everyone has as their "go to". Don't be scared to mention more than one! XD

Lami 1201m with a VSX200 or 1201L with a VR200. Depends on where and what I'm throwing.

I'm a shorter guy, 11 footers are just kinda unwieldy for me.

2 hours ago, aglenn said:

I think everyone in NY has a VS and. Lami

I don’t but a friend of mine does. He has several and brings an extra one for me to use  I have my issues with the feel of a VS and i generally hate big rods but i have  to say that fishing the 132 1M in montauk is a pleasure. It’s no wonder why it is so popular. It does everything very well. 

Interesting that when I fished Montauk and did so for nigh on 17 years on the bounce the rod of choice by every Sharpie I met was a Lami GSB 132 1M.

Most hung  a VS 250 on it. I preferred the VS 200. It is enough reel so why use more.

The question you really need to ask . Is it worth fishing  M  by surfcasting. I stopped going about six years ago because the numbers and sizes fell dramatically.

mike

On 7/21/2019 at 1:29 AM, Adrianb said:

Just wanted to get a general feel for what everyone has as their "go to". Don't be scared to mention more than one! XD

Is the reason you ask because you are just starting and trying to get an idea of what you need? It seems that way based on your posts.

Montauk has different types of fishing for different types of fishermen that requires different gear. If you are soaking bait, you can get by on the cheap. Same if you are fishing from a beach in calm conditions.  If you are rock hopping or skishing you will want a more robust setup. One rod and reel can cover all of these scenarios, but if you are soaking bait while you sit on a beach chair with beer in hand, you don't need a Lami and VS.

My first time out to Montauk was an experience. I went with buddies during the fall run and slept in a van ("down by the river."  We fished between the light and Caswells and it was blitz after blitz after blitz one of the days we were out. It was an awesome introduction to Montauk, but I have to tell you, I got a lot of looks. I was a novice (still am) who thought he could tame Montauk with an 8' Okuma Fin Chaser combo. That $30 setup worked just fine for me on that first trip. It survived rock hopping and handled plenty of fish. But, the more I fished Montauk in harsh conditions the more I realized that I would need a setup that could hold up under the abuse I was exposing it to. So I did what most of us have done, I picked up Lamis and Van Stalls.  I had other rods and reels, but my 11' Lami and VS200 was my go to.  That was my go to setups for years. But, my point is that if you are casually fishing a Montauk beach a couple times per year, you don't need a $1,000 setup.

3 hours ago, NYNistler said:

Is the reason you ask because you are just starting and trying to get an idea of what you need? It seems that way based on your posts.

Montauk has different types of fishing for different types of fishermen that requires different gear. If you are soaking bait, you can get by on the cheap. Same if you are fishing from a beach in calm conditions.  If you are rock hopping or skishing you will want a more robust setup. One rod and reel can cover all of these scenarios, but if you are soaking bait while you sit on a beach chair with beer in hand, you don't need a Lami and VS.

My first time out to Montauk was an experience. I went with buddies during the fall run and slept in a van ("down by the river."  We fished between the light and Caswells and it was blitz after blitz after blitz one of the days we were out. It was an awesome introduction to Montauk, but I have to tell you, I got a lot of looks. I was a novice (still am) who thought he could tame Montauk with an 8' Okuma Fin Chaser combo. That $30 setup worked just fine for me on that first trip. It survived rock hopping and handled plenty of fish. But, the more I fished Montauk in harsh conditions the more I realized that I would need a setup that could hold up under the abuse I was exposing it to. So I did what most of us have done, I picked up Lamis and Van Stalls.  I had other rods and reels, but my 11' Lami and VS200 was my go to.  That was my go to setups for years. But, my point is that if you are casually fishing a Montauk beach a couple times per year, you don't need a $1,000 setup.

I am just starting out (2 seasons) but I have a VSX200 with a 1-6oz st croix legend. I am just afraid I spent all this money on an unrecoverable fishery. :'(

If this is your first time and you don't have the proper gear for the rocks, I would invest in a 4x4 pass for the county to fish shagwon and the East Hampton pass to fish from East Hampton to ditch plains after Setpember 15. Guys might break my chops but a 7 footer will get the job done going from points to points on the beach. 

On most day small 3000-4000 sized real with 20 braid and a 30 leader with ta clip.  Bring bucktsils 3/4-1,5 on normal days , more sporty days requires a stick that get a lure out to the strike zone  like a 1321m . If you want to pay more for custom, try to test before you buy a used one. Good value finds can be found with patience. These new rods could be a total dud so testing one is worth it. Century,FSC, Lami, and ODM all make fantastic sticks depending on your casting style. I've had a daiwa BG 5000 on my loaner 10 ft setup and it is a great review high teen bass and blues. 

12 hours ago, Adrianb said:

I am just starting out (2 seasons) but I have a VSX200 with a 1-6oz st croix legend. I am just afraid I spent all this money on an unrecoverable fishery. :'(

Then you're already in. Fish it. Enjoy it. Don't look back, because you can't change the past.