Adrianb

Van Staal

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Adrianb said:

After seeing these comments I'm definitely going to pick one up. And how safe is buying Van Staals on here?

I've bought and sold many a reel and rod here. Never had any problems.

5 hours ago, recoil said:

The difference is night and day.

The VSX has the better drag adjustment and range as well as better line management. The hourglass line lay of the VS is a deal breaker for me.

I actually own all versions of the Van Staal and find the VR to be the one I grab first!

You would not have hourglass on VS If you know how to spool it. I use my VS250 almost daily and I don’t have the hourglass.

Edited by levari

Posted (edited) · Report post

Always thought of the VS reels like a guy that buys a Porsche 911 turbo and drives like Ms. Daisy.    There ARE drivers out there that the VS is as much as a NEED as want based on conditions and number of day per year.  I looked into the VS150 when I bought my Penn Spinfishers (they are not comparable) but could not fund a VS.  The reality is that I rarely dunk my reels, and then take very good care of them (cleaning, etc) and have had no issues with 800+  sessions over the past 5 years on my spinfishers.  Would a VS make a damn bit of difference.  No.  Had I lived in Montauk, where the fishing is different (swimming out, etc), then Yes...definitely.  In that case, I would have bought at a $600 VS (figured out funding) vs a $135 Spinfisher plus 10 years of maintenance.  $35 per.  The numbers balance out around that point, but I keep reels longer than 10 years.   Some guys cant shell out the $600 at once.  Hey thats OK....only a d-bag is going to look down at someone because of the name on the reel.  The fish cant tell.   Look at the gear you wear out yearly (waders, boots, etc).  If you are getting 2nd and 3rd seasons out of them, do you fish enough to need a $600 reel.   The funny part is that these questions/arguments never begin with what's important.  Does the reel help you land fish more?

Edited by geenowalker

2 hours ago, geenowalker said:

Always thought of the VS reels like a guy that buys a Porsche 911 turbo and drives like Ms. Daisy.    There ARE drivers out there that the VS is as much as a NEED as want based on conditions and number of day per year.  I looked into the VS150 when I bought my Penn Spinfishers (they are not comparable) but could not fund a VS.  The reality is that I rarely dunk my reels, and then take very good care of them (cleaning, etc) and have had no issues with 800+  sessions over the past 5 years on my spinfishers.  Would a VS make a damn bit of difference.  No.  Had I lived in Montauk, where the fishing is different (swimming out, etc), then Yes...definitely.  In that case, I would have bought at a $600 VS (figured out funding) vs a $135 Spinfisher plus 10 years of maintenance.  $35 per.  The numbers balance out around that point, but I keep reels longer than 10 years.   Some guys cant shell out the $600 at once.  Hey thats OK....only a d-bag is going to look down at someone because of the name on the reel.  The fish cant tell.   Look at the gear you wear out yearly (waders, boots, etc).  If you are getting 2nd and 3rd seasons out of them, do you fish enough to need a $600 reel.   The funny part is that these questions/arguments never begin with what's important.  Does the reel help you land fish more?

You can only make your decision you can't make someone else's. 

Some can throw out 600 a night on strippers .

Everyone is different and anyone who looks down on somebody because of gear is a dooche...

20 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

You can only make your decision you can't make someone else's. 

Some can throw out 600 a night on strippers .

Everyone is different and anyone who looks down on somebody because of gear is a dooche...

I read that at $600 a night on Stripers.  Thinking...where the hell are you buying bait and gas....not strippers.  I have fished the VS many times (my buddy has it) and its smooth and I get the need for it if you are a 300+ sessions per year guy (or fish a lot), but that's a big nut for a reel.

Some people buy a jeep to go offroading in serious terrain... some buy it to convey and image and feel like they are a part of a lifestyle. 

Not evertyone needs a VS.... but there seems to be this unspoken " pressure" in the scene, that you arent a serious surfcaster UNTIL you have the VS.

If you arent dunking and swimming with it, you dont need a VS. 

I don't own one but I think they are definitely worth it if you intend to abuse your gear in the many hypothetical ways described in this thread.

I will say though the disappointing signature move I see from a lot of fisherman around here is buying a van staal to fish/cast from 25 feet up the beach :D 

I may take the plunge some day but for now I'll stick with the Spheros I bought on here for $160 + a little care.. I enjoy frequent rinse and maintenance etc

My reels get dunked while unhooking fish. Sometimes the onehanded twist of the pliers just isn't enough and the rod gets set down and the reel takes a wave or two.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The thing I like most about a fully sealed reel is freedom or options.

I fish a sealed reel roughly 90% of the time.  Of that, maybe 50% of the time I don't NEED a sealed reel.  Example- I might be on the beach on a calm night or even a back bay and standing knee to waist deep and the reel is out of the water.  The ability to drop the rod butt and reel into the water to unbutton a fish, change a plug, clear weed from the rod tip, etc makes the trip much more enjoyable.  Its safer for me, the fish and my equipment (can help reduce "high-sticking" incidents and potential rod damage).

It also gives more options on a given outing.  I don't like to carry more than one setup with me or leave one in my vehicle.  With a sealed reel I can jump from a calm back bay right into the surf on the same night and not have to worry.  If you look at my profile pic you can see how I might go form one extreme to the other in a matter of 2 minutes....literally.

Edited by FoliFish

3 hours ago, Pistol Pete said:

Some people buy a jeep to go offroading in serious terrain... some buy it to convey and image and feel like they are a part of a lifestyle. 

Not evertyone needs a VS.... but there seems to be this unspoken " pressure" in the scene, that you arent a serious surfcaster UNTIL you have the VS.

If you arent dunking and swimming with it, you dont need a VS. 

Who are you to tell anyone what they need. Who cares

1 hour ago, Freedelivery said:

I just bought a vsx200 I think it’s worth the money solid real and the bailess is a game changer 

I did test out a bailess VS for the first time very recently and I definitely see why guys make the switch.. so efficient once you get that line pinch and first turn motion.

The surf is a harsh environment. A Van Staal will survive sand, salt water as well as a driving rainstorm.

I don't like to service my reels after an outing, I spray it in the sink and I'm done!

Money well spent for me.

1 hour ago, BG_NJ said:

I did test out a bailess VS for the first time very recently and I definitely see why guys make the switch.. so efficient once you get that line pinch and first turn motion.

Yeah it’s taken me a good two nights of fishing to get it down but now I can’t see myself going back to a bail for a surf reel

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Who are you to tell anyone what they need. Who cares

Yeah I agree... These threads always bug me to be honest. 

I just see teh same question, over and over, where some people dont understand

the "need" or benefit of a VS.   To me, it all comes down to durabulity and being watertight.   I wetsuit most of the season, so its a necessity...

but hey... life is short, and if anyone wants a VS... buy one!  

There are smoother reels for less money if submersion is not an issue for you, 

but everyone should buy they want either way. I agree with you