Adrianb

Van Staal

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

I believe the van staals are over priced--they left the U.S.A. and went to china and raised their prices-they become tight in cooler temps-if you don't dunk your reels you do not need a vs--use the extra money on other gear--most vs owners don't need a vs--its a follow the leader thing-just my take on your question--rreelman

There a great reel. Super tough. One of the best. Just ask the guys from Montauk. They are so hard on all there stuff and that reel holds up. So ask yourself how are you going to fish. Do you need a reel like that’s? Talk to real tackle shops who sell them and uses them.

If you dunk your reel a lot, wade deeper than your ankles, swim out to rocks, fish in heavy rain and dont wanna deal with water intrusion, yes. 

Short answer; if you beat the piss out of your gear and dont wanna worry, yes they're worth it. I've gone through MANY other options but always come back to VS for surf reels.

Depends on what you do. I got a 150 15 years ago and a 200 11 years ago. All spring I wade out waist deep or further and my reel is in the water all night. In the fall I fish some other destinations where I wetsuit or fish in rough surf and have no concerns of about it getting wet or full of sand. Best purchases I've ever made for fishing.  Waders come and go, rods have been replaced and of course the plug collection is constantly rotated. The reels have remained the same. Before them I was going through 1 or 2 reels a season.  With minimal maintenance or repair the VS's have remained like new.

If you are gonna dunk you’re reel YES...if you’re looking for the smoothest reel on the market NO, I personally feel my staal is a workhorse that I can rely on.

When you fish the surf in the middle of the night, or wade deep, even in back, it is inevitable that your reel will end up taking a wave, be dropped in the sand, or submerged, especially while unhooking a fish, changing lures, dealing with a line wrap (around the rod tip) or a wind knot.  For me, the question is whether I want to be able to keep fishing - the answer is yes, and this question is the genesis of my conversion to VS's for night time plugging back in 1996  I simply became tired of fixing less expensive reels when I wanted to be fishing instead.

For some guys a VS is simply much more reel than they'll ever need, for others its an important tool in their arsenal. I enjoy wet suiting and swimming with my gear so a VS is an absolute necessity for me. Even if I'm not swimming, the bulletproof design and reliability of the VS is appreciated when you fish hard and often. 

Van Staals are worth every penny, if they fit your style of fishing and are what you need. I have used plenty of other reels for surf fishing that were only subjected to ocean spray and a little sand, and they never worked the same again. I eventually upgraded to Van Staals and I am actually thinking of getting another one. To quote what I put in another post on SOL, "after spending hour after hour in the surf, I'm not overly concerned with weight or how "smooth" a reel is.  I'm more of a bulletproof coffee grinder type of guy." If that is how you think and if you spend any amount of time surf fishing, Van Staal might be exactly what you want and need.

It's a great surf reel. I've had mine for 10 years with no issues. Yes it probably is more than I need or most people need.  Who cares? It's only money.  You only live once.  If you want one and have the money to spend then go for it. That's how I look at it.  

I think if you fish the surf a lot and can afford one you'll will find no better spinning reel. I have been using VSs since the beginning, mid '90s, and they have never failed me.

Posted (edited) · Report post

They are worth it. It’s not so much the water intrusion it’s the sand that always gets me. When I land a fish I usually just throw my rod on the sand while I deal, then a quick rinse in the wash it’s good to go.

edit I have had a 150 and now a 200. Also used a z22 for a year and went back to VS

Edited by MikedNJ