Adrianb

St Croix Mojo Surf 10'6 2-6oz

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Anyone use this specific rod and has an in depth review on it? Looking to getting one matched with a Van Staal 200.

Throws 2 okay, loves 3-4.  I never really go above 4 but I have bottom fished with 6 and didn't find it to be a problem. I have a Saltiga Z4000 on it now which I think is perfect. In the past it's worn a Battle 5000, Cabo 60, Emblem Pro 5500, Mitchell 303, Baitrunner 8000D, and more. Oddly enough, the Mitchell seemed to cast the farthest.

Anything else?

Posted (edited) · Report post

How is the backbone on it to handle bigger fish like a 30lb+ striper? And would you throw lower than its rating like a 1.5 oz bucktail?

Edited by Adrianb
mistake

3 hours ago, Adrianb said:

How is the backbone on it to handle bigger fish like a 30lb+ striper? And would you throw lower than its rating like a 1.5 oz bucktail?

I  have a Mojo 106MHMF2 paired with a Slammer 6500HS. After some teething pains with both rod and reel(different reel on rod/different rod for reel) I paired the two up and they work perfectly together. They'll cast best with 2 1/2-4 1/2 oz, but I've gone heavier and lighter(1.1 oz SPs and 6oz Al Gags). You'll give up some feel on the 1-1 1/2 oz BTs, but it will still throw them. As far as backbone goes, 2 weeks ago I lost what might have been a 50 after about a 10 minute fight in a ripping current. The rod impressed me. We saw the fish, so I know the 10'6" Mojo 2-6 has plenty of backbone. Against the biggest striper I've ever hooked up with, in a strong current, I was not under-gunned. I had all the rod and reel I needed.

8 mins ago, RockRonin said:

I  have a Mojo 106MHMF2 paired with a Slammer 6500HS. After some teething pains with both rod and reel(different reel on rod/different rod for reel) I paired the two up and they work perfectly together. They'll cast best with 2 1/2-4 1/2 oz, but I've gone heavier and lighter(1.1 oz SPs and 6oz Al Gags). You'll give up some feel on the 1-1 1/2 oz BTs, but it will still throw them. As far as backbone goes, 2 weeks ago I lost what might have been a 50 after about a 10 minute fight in a ripping current. The rod impressed me. We saw the fish, so I know the 10'6" Mojo 2-6 has plenty of backbone. Against the biggest striper I've ever hooked up with, in a strong current, I was not under-gunned. I had all the rod and reel I needed.

Thanks for the info! Hopefully it will stand up against a Nor'easter at Montauk. If not any other rod suggestions?

5 mins ago, Adrianb said:

Thanks for the info! Hopefully it will stand up against a Nor'easter at Montauk. If not any other rod suggestions?

Star Paraflex, Shimano Tiralejo, Penn Carnage 2...If you want to step up in price, options abound. Black Hole puts out some nice stuff, they're worth a look. 

What's nice about the Mojo, you can fish it for a season and if you don't like it, or you break it, you can upgrade it to the 11' Avid MHF2(3-8oz) for $100. St. Croix is a good company with a lot of history and the best warranty/exchange program in the business. 

3 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Star Paraflex, Shimano Tiralejo, Penn Carnage 2...If you want to step up in price, options abound. Black Hole puts out some nice stuff, they're worth a look. 

What's nice about the Mojo, you can fish it for a season and if you don't like it, or you break it, you can upgrade it to the 11' Avid MHF2(3-8oz) for $100. St. Croix is a good company with a lot of history and the best warranty/exchange program in the business. 

I heard about the warranty but don't you have to pay for the "upgrade"?

5 mins ago, Adrianb said:

I heard about the warranty but don't you have to pay for the "upgrade"?

Yeah, like I said..." if you don't like it, or you break it, you can upgrade it to the 11' Avid MHF2(3-8oz) for $100." They apply the cost of the Mojo you already bought to the price of the Avid and you pay the shipping. I originally had two Mojos: 8' and 10-6MHMF2. Broke the 10-6. For $35, they sent me a new top for it. Broke That top. They sent me a 10' Avid For Free. I sent them back a broken top half to the Mojo. I fished the Avid hard all fall aND loved it, so over the winter, I sent the 8' Mojo back and for $115, got the 8' Avid. I  love it too. I also gave them another $35 bucks at the same time for another top for the Mojo 10-6...So, after the initial purchase price of the two Mojos, for the additional costs $35, $115 and $35, I now have:

An 8' Avid

A 10' Avid

and Still have the 10-6 Mojo, which handles everything in my bag over 1 oz.

I'd gladly do business with any company willing to go to those lengths to make sure their customers have what they want.

15 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Yeah, like I said..." if you don't like it, or you break it, you can upgrade it to the 11' Avid MHF2(3-8oz) for $100." They apply the cost of the Mojo you already bought to the price of the Avid and you pay the shipping. I originally had two Mojos: 8' and 10-6MHMF2. Broke the 10-6. For $35, they sent me a new top for it. Broke That top. They sent me a 10' Avid For Free. I sent them back a broken top half to the Mojo. I fished the Avid hard all fall aND loved it, so over the winter, I sent the 8' Mojo back and for $115, got the 8' Avid. I  love it too. I also gave them another $35 bucks at the same time for another top for the Mojo 10-6...So, after the initial purchase price of the two Mojos, for the additional costs $35, $115 and $35, I now have:

An 8' Avid

A 10' Avid

and Still have the 10-6 Mojo, which handles everything in my bag over 1 oz.

I'd gladly do business with any company willing to go to those lengths to make sure their customers have what they want.

Thanks for the info!

Buy the 3/4-4 model and get the replacement tip for the 2-6 from them for $35. Two rods in one.

I use my 2-6 for everything from SP minnows, to 4 ounce pencils, to eels. I'm in love with it.