mattyboyee

SHARK SPOTTED: Shallow Water "I'm a little rattled"

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

What are you guys worried about? Didn't you watch the World's Biggest Great White on NatGeo last week? They were diving with 3 different 17-20' GW's (as well as a bunch of tigers) that were feeding on a whale carcass. No issues at all. 

Well except for one of the GW's eating the photographers boat.  :laugh:

3 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

What are you guys worried about? Didn't you watch the World's Biggest Great White on NatGeo last week? They were diving with 3 different 17-20' GW's (as well as a bunch of tigers) that were feeding on a whale carcass. No issues at all. 

Well except for one of the GW's eating the photographers boat.  :laugh:

these guys are scared of a shark with no teeth. It was a basking shark.:howdy:

Guess it depends on where you are.. I have had a few close shark encounters in very shallow water in Texas..first two scared me sh*tless, the third one made me appreciate them more and made me a little more relaxed.  Was surf fishing the Gulf by our house in S Texas....was standing in the second trough in thigh deep water casting to a cut in the third bar that had jacks, spanish macks. and redfish cruising in and out.   My mother in law was on the beach reading and calmly yells, Bill...Bill turn around.  We look to our left...and a big  bull shark is 50 yards away and coming at us so fast he is throwing a wake.  Bad place to be, even if he wasn't after us initially,, we were blocking him from where he wanted to go.  Father in law turned around and jammed is surf rod into sand right in front of him as he approached and he thrashed around us back out of the water and went out through the cut in the bar.  

Second time we were standing in knee deep water on the edge of a mid bay oyster reef in San Antonio Bay...each fishing a cut and drop off into 12 feet of water on the leeward side of reef.   My Father in Law...gets jerked off his feet backwards into the water and starts cursing up a storm.  He had two trout and a redfish on his stringer tied to his belt ad a bull shark hit is stringer at full speed and thankfully bit it off.  Virtually everyone you talk to has had that happen to them doing the stringer and cork thing in the in the bay.  That make me uncomfortable far from the boat in waist deep water with a thrashing redfish attached to me. 

The last one was better...jumped off our flats boat on a flat that was maybe 2000 yards long but only 100 yards wide inside a Matagorda barrier island.  Dropped off to 5 feet then 15 feet...and at end of flat was a small cut/pass into the open Gulf of Mexico.  Saw some nervous water on the flat so I started casting a streamer ...nothing...more mullet jumping still nothing...which is odd because redfish are supper aggressive with flies on the flats.  I turn around and cast over the drop off and strip strip in fly...as I go to rip it out of water, standing flat footed in waist deep water with one arm over my head...a bull shark followed it all the way in and came at my groin like a bullet.  I was completely frozen...thankfully it realized I was not what it was looking for, and turned like a fighter pilot at what seemed like practically a 90 degree angle....I could feel my shorts swish as he beat his tale and turned off the flat.  I was literally standing there with my arm still over my head and my mouth open. My FIL mentioned he sees big hammer heads in there cruising the flat edge all the time.  I did fish in ankle deep water for rest of the day...but I had a new respect for an even aggressive breed of sharks that once they recognize you are not the preferred target they put effort into avoiding you. 

On 7/21/2019 at 7:20 AM, Marty said:

Yep, bass have no teeth. This shark that was swimming in the canal yesterday was ln my back yard. I think he was looking for me.  Lol. I killed many sharks. It may be revenge time !!!

FD8DF140-FD9C-402C-A141-4BA458925ED0.jpeg

64C4AE9A-AB2D-4162-B9B2-0C735466B7D9.jpeg

5A956927-8A4A-4846-9B82-B96522471BA9.jpeg

PUP 

2 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Any chance you remember the name of that app? Seems like a fun enough one to have on hand.

unfortunately I don't. This guy and his son's were big into shark fishing, he showed it to me for just a few seconds.

6 hours ago, Ftyer said:

Any chance you remember the name of that app? Seems like a fun enough one to have on hand.

Sharktivity

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/20/2019 at 8:42 PM, Sudsy said:

If you had any idea how often you had a shark within a few yards of you while waded out fishing :eek:

It's kinda like how you are pretty much never more than 6 feet away from a spider when you are on outside (on land). 

Edited by coastalfreak

4 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

unfortunately I don't. This guy and his son's were big into shark fishing, he showed it to me for just a few seconds.

No sweat, thanks  a bunch for replying though! 

6 hours ago, crazybellringer said:

these guys are scared of a shark with no teeth. It was a basking shark.:howdy:

I have a big smile on my face. I was at the inlet today talking to a few surfers and they told me it was a basking shark. Not rattled by a basking shark, rattled after hearing about and seeing an (at the time) unidentified shark. I guess most of us would agree its the unknown or the unseen that causes the mind to wonder. For some reason I'm longing to fish that area more now than ever. And I'll still fish there as usual.

5 hours ago, buckmaster said:

Guess it depends on where you are.. I have had a few close shark encounters in very shallow water in Texas..first two scared me sh*tless, the third one made me appreciate them more and made me a little more relaxed.  Was surf fishing the Gulf by our house in S Texas....was standing in the second trough in thigh deep water casting to a cut in the third bar that had jacks, spanish macks. and redfish cruising in and out.   My mother in law was on the beach reading and calmly yells, Bill...Bill turn around.  We look to our left...and a big  bull shark is 50 yards away and coming at us so fast he is throwing a wake.  Bad place to be, even if he wasn't after us initially,, we were blocking him from where he wanted to go.  Father in law turned around and jammed is surf rod into sand right in front of him as he approached and he thrashed around us back out of the water and went out through the cut in the bar.  

Second time we were standing in knee deep water on the edge of a mid bay oyster reef in San Antonio Bay...each fishing a cut and drop off into 12 feet of water on the leeward side of reef.   My Father in Law...gets jerked off his feet backwards into the water and starts cursing up a storm.  He had two trout and a redfish on his stringer tied to his belt ad a bull shark hit is stringer at full speed and thankfully bit it off.  Virtually everyone you talk to has had that happen to them doing the stringer and cork thing in the in the bay.  That make me uncomfortable far from the boat in waist deep water with a thrashing redfish attached to me. 

The last one was better...jumped off our flats boat on a flat that was maybe 2000 yards long but only 100 yards wide inside a Matagorda barrier island.  Dropped off to 5 feet then 15 feet...and at end of flat was a small cut/pass into the open Gulf of Mexico.  Saw some nervous water on the flat so I started casting a streamer ...nothing...more mullet jumping still nothing...which is odd because redfish are supper aggressive with flies on the flats.  I turn around and cast over the drop off and strip strip in fly...as I go to rip it out of water, standing flat footed in waist deep water with one arm over my head...a bull shark followed it all the way in and came at my groin like a bullet.  I was completely frozen...thankfully it realized I was not what it was looking for, and turned like a fighter pilot at what seemed like practically a 90 degree angle....I could feel my shorts swish as he beat his tale and turned off the flat.  I was literally standing there with my arm still over my head and my mouth open. My FIL mentioned he sees big hammer heads in there cruising the flat edge all the time.  I did fish in ankle deep water for rest of the day...but I had a new respect for an even aggressive breed of sharks that once they recognize you are not the preferred target they put effort into avoiding you. 

Honey, need to use clorox on my tidy whities! 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, RKG1 said:

What's a basking shark?

Second-largest shark in the world.  Only the whale shark is larger.  I've seen a few off Long Island that were between 20 and 25 feet, although they get bigger.

They cruise around with their moughts open sucking in plankton.  

Generally, they like cooler water; there are a lot of them up in New England, Canada, and off the British Isles.  But there are always a few around here from late spring through fall.

Dead ones, that have partially decayed, have given rise to a lot of sea serpent stories when their spines with a little attached meat washes up on the beach.

2 hours ago, CWitek said:

Second-largest shark in the world.  Only the whale shark is larger.  I've seen a few off Long Island that were between 20 and 25 feet, although they get bigger.

They cruise around with their moughts open sucking in plankton.  

Generally, they like cooler water; there are a lot of them up in New England, Canada, and off the British Isles.  But there are always a few around here from late spring through fall.

Dead ones, that have partially decayed, have given rise to a lot of sea serpent stories when their spines with a little attached meat washes up on the beach.

Yessir! We have lots of whale sharks down here in the Southeast and the Gulf. Many of them in Mexico on the Yucatan.