ThrowinPlugs

Fish ID?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Little buggers were chewing up every gulp I put on a hook or bucktail this morning while doing a little over fishing. I know blowfish and triggers were around, but only managed to hook this guy. Is this a bergall?

20190720_074134.jpg

13 mins ago, Birdsnester said:

Yep there are zillions if them.  Never seem to get a keeper though 

Just another fishery "doing just fine"

Foul hooked 2 of them the other morning. Both like 4.5" long. Wish the big ones would come in the back bays. Last year I got one that was like 10.5" on a live peanut. 

1 min ago, gellfex said:

Kudos for getting out in this heat! You love fishing more than me.

To be fair, this was at like 8am after slinging eels for 4 hours. Note, this was all I caught all morning. 

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

To be fair, this was at like 8am after slinging eels for 4 hours. Note, this was all I caught all morning. 

Yes, on the water at 4am, you do love fishing more than me! I almost went out in the kayak today looking for fluke or porgy, but the W wind bringing the hot air off the shore decided me not to.

14 mins ago, gellfex said:

Yes, on the water at 4am, you do love fishing more than me! I almost went out in the kayak today looking for fluke or porgy, but the W wind bringing the hot air off the shore decided me not to.

I'll be the first to tell ya, when the wind starts blowing HOT at 5am, it ain't worth squat. Wasnt even going to attempt the yak this AM. Water felt like soup. No bueno!

I would think if you fished an area of deeper water where the wind is coming over at least a couple of miles of water like the Sound with a N wind, it would be cooler. I've always been impressed with the "microclimate" water temp can create. There's a river in Mass with whitewater releases of cold water from the bottom of a dam, and in that valley it can create a much cooler air temp in that first 3 ft above the water even in July.