Jay Blair

Fishfinder Chartplotters

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I checked the inshore boating forum and there is almost nothing about freshwater fishing and the Freshy forum rarely if ever mentions fish finder chart plotters, so I am hoping to get some help here.

I am putting together an 18' reservoir rig for bass fishing the Maryland reservoirs and am having some issues trying to decide on a couple of 7" or 8" networked fish finder chart plotter units for the boat. Unfortunately I do not have the money right now for a networked smart chart plotter bow mount electric motor set up like ones Hummingbird Min Kota have with spot lock and the ability to navigate a plotted course on your chart plotter with a bow mount motor. As anyone knows that has considered them, these combos cost thousands of dollars more than the typical networked larger screen units and dumb electric bow mount motors controlled with a foot pedal.

The Hummingbird's primary advantages are the smart trolling motor feature and that is out due to cost and the Lake Master chips that provide more detail for my lakes, however from what I can tell the Hummingbirds are not easy to figure out how to use, their screen resolutions are not the best, and reliability can be an issue.  I have not had a boat in a while and there maybe other advantages or disadvantages that I am not aware of and good reviews seem to be scarce on the Hummingbird 8" Helix DI and SI G3N units.

That being the case there seems to be lots of great reviews on the Lowrance 7" and 8" TI units, but I am not sure of what options to buy and what are the best third party chart options.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or feedback on what networked fishfinder/charplotter set ups Hummingbird, Lowrance, or Gramin anyone has and what transducers, options, and maps they got and why.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and advice.

Wow! it was a lot simpler years ago when I only had to worry about a down image fishfinder. I am a little overwhelmed by the various models and options and the internet hype is hard to dig through.

Edited by Jay Blair

Early July I asked somewhat similar questions.   Link below from Main forum.   I ended up selecting the Garmin 7" echo map over the HB 7" helix.   They are both good models.  I did not need to network so can't speak to that but I selected the Garmin because it definitely seemed easier to use.   Haven't used it on the water yet, but demos I did at Cabela's led me to select the Garmin.  

Notime, I checked it out and it was somewhat helpful, but not really what I was looking for. We used to have some dedicated bass, multispecies guys that fished lakes and reservoirs, but I think they may have moved on.

40 mins ago, Jay Blair said:

Notime, I checked it out and it was somewhat helpful, but not really what I was looking for. We used to have some dedicated bass, multispecies guys that fished lakes and reservoirs, but I think they may have moved on.

I'm not surprised, sorry.  Funny, I had the opposite problem.   When I was researching this I found more information that was focused on freshwater.   I'll try to get you some of that info later tonight.