Wheeler

First ever bonefish - caught on GoPro!

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Like most anglers, I've always wanted to catch a bonefish. I try to fish for them whenever the opportunity presents itself, but they've always eluded me. I've been some pretty great places to catch them too; Virgin Islands, Bahamas, Belize, Ascension Bay. One issue is that Im not a fly-fisherman and I've found it's very difficult to present a weighted jig to them on a spinning rod without spooking the pack. Another factor has been weather. It's been extremely windy several of the times that I've seriously fished for them which always makes things more difficult. I assume the biggest reason that Ive never caught one though, is that Im too cheap to hire a guide. With no knowledge of the fishing grounds, no boat to access them, less than ideal gear, and no experience at spotting them on the flats, the odds are really stacked against you to even see one, let alone catch one. Lady luck was finally on my side last week in the Bahamas though. Best part is, it wasn't even supposed to be a fishing trip. We had kayaked out to an island to do some snorkeling and I just happened to bring my rod along. My daughter caught it all on GoPro. Afterwards I was able to get some great drone footage of the bonefish pack. It was all so epic (to me anyway), that I decided to edit the video, hire a voice-over on Fiverr on the cheap, and make a goofy/fun/epic video out of it. Hope you enjoy!

Edited by Wheeler

Sweet! Such cool fish. I’ve never targeted them, but I was lucky enough to hook one on a small piece of squid cast from a pier in Islamorada, definitely one of my more surprising catches.

That's awesome. I can't imagine how much your heart was pounding during the fight. I know mine would be pounding!

Nice work. Hope to catch one someday. 

Best home fishing video ever ... it had it all ...  hot chicks, amazing voice over work, great music selection and to top it off a beautiful bonefish. Very nice work ...  very enjoyable to watch.

First of all, great catch. Congratulations. And yeah, me too, cheap AF.

The video is a hoot! What a great idea to get voice over on the cheap. You can write stupid **** about yourself and the guy makes it sound EPIC. Well done.

Enjoyed the video I have tried a few times to catch them on the flats yet to get one on the bucket list to hook up with one, again great video, enjoy life with the family the memories are priceless!!!