Sandflee

Silver Coins

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Always knew my pops put any and all silver coins aside from when he was a child didn’t realize how many he did, pretty kool to see coins this old from the 1800’s

 

 

78D56227-0CEE-430A-9190-6405A2F024C6.jpeg

A6DA0B0C-DEC2-4B95-B869-C7F7A607311E.jpeg

9E6B6A18-CD1A-4721-90E0-6CCD4DBD316B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get them appraised, or get a current coin value book.

Some might be worth something, some not worth much more than face value.

Carrying them around in the baggie, clanging against one another is a good way to knock the value down, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, dena said:

Get them appraised, or get a current coin value book.

Some might be worth something, some not worth much more than face value.

Carrying them around in the baggie, clanging against one another is a good way to knock the value down, though.

 

I hear ya they’ve been in that baggie in a closet for over 50-60 years and there are a few more baggies about 15lbs total

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Always knew my pops put any and all silver coins aside from when he was a child didn’t realize how many he did, pretty kool to see coins this old from the 1800’s

 

 

78D56227-0CEE-430A-9190-6405A2F024C6.jpeg

A6DA0B0C-DEC2-4B95-B869-C7F7A607311E.jpeg

9E6B6A18-CD1A-4721-90E0-6CCD4DBD316B.jpeg

 

Also, check your pop's pockets, and secret stash places. Savers, and collectors, like it sounds like he was( sorry to hear BTW) like to stash stuff, and money away. My grandma had $20 dollar bills stashed in random clothes pockets, in boxes, anywhere she could squirrel some money or valuables away, she did.

Edited by dena

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 mins ago, dena said:

 

Also, check your pop's pockets, and secret stash places. Savers, and collectors, like it sounds like he was( sorry to hear BTW) like to stash stuff, and money away. My grandma had $20 dollar bills stashed in random clothes pockets, in boxes, anywhere she could squirrel some money of valuables away, she did.

He let us know about that as well (told us check pockets before donating his clothes), I always knew he had these coins from when I was a child I have the pieces of paper I wrote the face value totals on when I was a little kid some thing like $625 face value 

dollars, half dollars, quarters, dimes, Buffalo nickels etc

 

and thank you for the condolences 

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would check them out , then keep them :th:

My dad has big ass jars full of silver money and silver certificate dollar Bill's

Stamp collection started when I was born...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, dena said:

Get them appraised, or get a current coin value book.

Some might be worth something, some not worth much more than face value.

Carrying them around in the baggie, clanging against one another is a good way to knock the value down, though.

 

 

They are worth more than face value in silver content alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, redfishkiller said:

I would check them out , then keep them :th:

My dad has big ass jars full of silver money and silver certificate dollar Bill's

Stamp collection started when I was born...

Red these aren’t going anywhere they will be saved 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, MikeMc said:

 

They are worth more than face value in silver content alone. 

Yes looks like. 1885 $1 is $25 in average condition alone

 

current silver prices (melted) per oz your over 5k

Edited by Sandflee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Always knew my pops put any and all silver coins aside from when he was a child didn’t realize how many he did, pretty kool to see coins this old from the 1800’s

 

 

78D56227-0CEE-430A-9190-6405A2F024C6.jpeg

A6DA0B0C-DEC2-4B95-B869-C7F7A607311E.jpeg

9E6B6A18-CD1A-4721-90E0-6CCD4DBD316B.jpeg

Cartwheels and some other neat stuff in there it looks like. Download the PCGS price guide and grading app to help you figure out what they could be worth. Take that number and multiply it by .6 and that’s what the average honest coin dealer will offer you. That’s exciting man. I would get them out of that bag, put them in airtite capsules and hold onto them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Cartwheels and some other neat stuff in there it looks like. Download the PCGS price guide and grading app to help you figure out what they could be worth. Take that number and multiply it by .6 and that’s what the average honest coin dealer will offer you. That’s exciting man. I would get them out of that bag, put them in airtite capsules and hold onto them. 

What type of air tight  capsules? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.