beret

How many member have you ever met ?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

18 mins ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

over the almost 20 yars that I have been a member here I met hundreds of members maybe close to a thousand.at one point there were spring flings fall flings plug get togethers and cod fishing trips,very few are still active members

It's tough to get folks to participate in/commit to events.

Often see guys around at fishing spots but never go up to them to say Hi. I'm going to try to change that in the future and get to know some of you better. :howdy:

6 hours ago, beret said:

Sudsy but how many have you actually met..........of the 54 phone contacts have you met all of them...

Every one of them many times

Quite a few are in my club

5 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

over the almost 20 yars that I have been a member here I met hundreds of members maybe close to a thousand.at one point there were spring flings fall flings plug get togethers and cod fishing trips,very few are still active members

It's depressing how many are no longer posting

I'll talk to anyone, and live in two separate resort areas.   Yet, I've never met another SOL member.   I think, and I can be wrong, that visitors sometimes think locals are standoffish and won't approach them.    

12 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

It will be 18 years here for me next month, and I would guess that a thousand isn't out of the realm of possibility. The first couple years of the Food Fling  I tried to make it a point to meet every member who came through the doors, but as the event grew that just became impossible. Add the Ditch, Spring, Fly, and various other Flings the number just goes up. I have met members from all over the states ; Alaska, California, Texas, Nevada, and of course all up and down the east coast. And the ones from around the globe ; Canada, Mexico, The U.K., India, Australia, and even one that although he lived in Delaware when I met him, was from and has since moved back to Croatia. Have stayed at other members homes, and had them stay at mine. Close friendships with many of them that will last my lifetime I am sure. 

Used to talk alot to a guy in Japan as well, but lost touch with him :( 

About 25. However one stands out as a hell of a guy and one of the best all around fisherman I know and thats the infamous Marty.

Through Marty I met Beachglass Guru. Another extremely talented and creative fisherman.

I bet I've had quite a few beers next to SOL members at Liar's over the years but never purposely met up with one. I'm a boat fisherman, not really a surf guy, but I'd be down for a LI meet up. A SOL party/charter boat day would be fun. 

Met maybe 6-8 when joined a Ditch Trolls breakfast to pick up a Christmas family auction rig from Phil. Great group of guys, couldn’t have been more welcoming. (Was early in the year so we didn’t fish) 

At the canal few June’s ago a white Suburban or Tahoe parked next to me at the Scusset lot (believe NJ plates), that had an SOL sticker on the cargo box on roof, nice front cooler/rod rack, with two guys heading out on bikes, but not really comfortable asking “Hey, what’s your internet name on SOL”. Probably should have asked, and they could be like “Ah, you’re that idiot PlumFishing!” :howdy:

16 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

Met maybe 6-8 when joined a Ditch Trolls breakfast to pick up a Christmas family auction rig from Phil. Great group of guys, couldn’t have been more welcoming. (Was early in the year so we didn’t fish) 

At the canal few June’s ago a white Suburban or Tahoe parked next to me at the Scusset lot (believe NJ plates), that had an SOL sticker on the cargo box on roof, nice front cooler/rod rack, with two guys heading out on bikes, but not really comfortable asking “Hey, what’s your internet name on SOL”. Probably should have asked, and they could be like “Ah, you’re that idiot PlumFishing!” :howdy:

Didn't know they made SOL stickers! I'd love to slap some on my tackle box and cooler. Any info on how to get them?