Thumb-Burner

BG 3000 vs Penn Clash 4000 retrieve speed.. is this right?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Looking at the specs the daiwa bg 3000 holds 240/8 mono and has retrieve speed of 5.6:1 and 37.4" per turn of handle..     Penn Clash 4000 is 270/8# mono (greater capacity) 6.2:1 (higher gear ratio) and 37" per turn of handle (LESS than BG3000)

it is not logical to me that a higher gear ratio on a reel with a larger spool would have less Inches per turn....   is this right?  is it the depth/shape of the spool possibly the reason it is true.    i know i'm over analyzing but this doesn't seem logical to me.  Obviously, we all know mfg specs are always accurate... :)

thoughts?

I’ve never owned a Penn reel that could hold as much line as was claimed on the spool. Always figured it was their way of throwing a bone to shops who fill reels using bulk spools.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Although the bg is smaller in designated size, you should know there isn't a standard shared between the plethora of reel manufacturers and even within one brand of reels not all reels with the same size have the same spool diameter.  To my recollection the 3000 bg spool does have a larger spool diameter than a clash 4000 but I can't be certain, although that's the only logical explanation assuming both manufacturers accurately measured the ipt 

also spools with different capacities can also be wider or taller etc

as for the stated spool capacities every manufacturer figures that number out independently, we have no idea what mono line was used to determine the capacity and not all mono lines at a given rating have the same diameter, it's entirely possible that the bg can hold more line than the clash despite it's specs on paper etc  

Edited by Jetex2801

Penn measures the ipt based on the average between a full spool and empty spool.

There are other companies that measure ipt based on a full spool. I don't know if Diawa does this though.

8 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Penn measures the ipt based on the average between a full spool and empty spool.

There are other companies that measure ipt based on a full spool. I don't know if Diawa does this though.

Hmmmm.....  that’s interesting and does make sense.  So it’s possible that the ratings are correct and the penn would be more than the 37.4” of the Daiwa if the penn has a full spool?    

Just now, Thumb-Burner said:

Hmmmm.....  that’s interesting and does make sense.  So it’s possible that the ratings are correct and the penn would be more than the 37.4” of the Daiwa if the penn has a full spool?    

That is a definite possibility.

One way to verify is to check the ipt on the Clash 4000 with a full spool.

I can do this when I get home today and see what I find.