No Bull S

G Loomis Shortstick Revisited

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

I never got to field test the Loomis Shortstick ( I know it's surprising) the way I wanted to. In fact I didn't get to field test it at all! But recently I've been able to put it through some great and at times pretty rough fishing. Lots of big False Albacore, Blackfin Tuna, Cobia, and muchos big bluefish in shallow water too. Here's what I have to say. Shouldn't have discontinued this rod. But of course they did! This is because of the universal axiom in fly fishing which states: If you find an article of fly fishing tackle (or related) that you like, and it is REALLY good, buy a few of them because the better it is, the shorter the time it'll be available.

This has been proven to me again and again!

I've used the 10/11 and the 11/12 models lately.  First off, the shorter rod (7 1/2 ft.) fights the fish faster, easier, and better than the 9 footer. NO QUESTION. That shorter lever makes a big and very noticeable difference. Add shortening the lever even more (like pointing the rod at the fish or having it mostly horizontal when pulling) and you simply kick A with that fightn' combination. Shorter rod and a fly line to pull through the water tires fish faster than even a spinning rod! You can just about hear the fish crying "uncle" through the bubbles. You even shorten the rod (and lever) more by using your hand on the extended foregrip provided on the rod! It makes a difference.

Was asked if I thought these would be good fighting tarpon and I didn't know. Now I can say I think they will do a great job fighting them. And probably fishing them too. But I still have to try on tarpon. I have to see how they are with the repeated pick up and cast scenario common to the poonie game.

The rods cast great in a boat, store great, feel so light. I almost got to the point asking why you would even WANT to use a 9 footer in a boat anyway?! Such disadvantages! Note: If you have a 9 footer and it CASTS GREAT, then why stop using it? Rods that cast great for YOU personally are SO hard to come by regardless of length. I should know, I've had to work my way through what seems like millions to find the few I really like (and have liked - may those fine rods and their wonderful memories rest in peace!) These two Shortsticks cast better than the VAST majority of rods I've casted for their line weights. And if I wanted to cast using mostly my wrist, these rods will excel! Try doing that with any of your rods! I don't know about you, but I certainly know of a few casters out there who might be using "just a little too much" wrist. Or maybe thousands! 

Good Casting,

Mark

Hi Mark! Hope all is well. Agree with all of what you say. 

We should have a thread of all the good stuff that’s been discontinued 

22 mins ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Boat rod. Built short rods in 70s for guys they all were boat fishermen. 

Great on the rocks too. 

I had a 7'11" Recon and liked it, but ended up exchanging it as I prefer the line management that a 9ft rod gives you and I can cast further with a 9ft. But those short rods are insanely light and fun to use with the right line.

18 hours ago, No Bull S said:

I never got to field test the Loomis Shortstick ( I know it's surprising) the way I wanted to. In fact I didn't get to field test it at all! But recently I've been able to put it through some great and at times pretty rough fishing. Lots of big False Albacore, Blackfin Tuna, Cobia, and muchos big bluefish in shallow water too. Here's what I have to say. Shouldn't have discontinued this rod. But of course they did! This is because of the universal axiom in fly fishing which states: If you find an article of fly fishing tackle (or related) that you like, and it is REALLY good, buy a few of them because the better it is, the shorter the time it'll be available.

I've used the 10/11 and the 11/12 models lately.  First off, the shorter rod (7 1/2 ft.) fights the fish faster, easier, and better than the 9 footer. NO QUESTION. That shorter lever makes a big and very noticeable difference. Add shortening the lever even more (like pointing the rod at the fish or having it mostly horizontal when pulling) and you simply kick A with that fightn' combination. Shorter rod and a fly line to pull through the water tires fish faster than even a spinning rod! You can just about hear the fish crying "uncle" through the bubbles. You even shorten the rod (and lever) more by using your hand on the extended foregrip provided on the rod! It makes a difference.

Was asked if I thought these would be good fighting tarpon and I didn't know. Now I can say I think they will do a great job fighting them. And probably fishing them too. But I still have to try on tarpon. I have to see how they are with the repeated pick up and cast scenario common to the poonie game.

The rods cast great in a boat, store great, feel so light. I almost got to the point asking why you would even WANT to use a 9 footer in a boat anyway?! Such disadvantages! Note: If you have a 9 footer and it CASTS GREAT, then why stop using it? Rods that cast great for YOU personally are SO hard to come by regardless of length. I should know, I've had to work my way through what seems like millions to find the few I really like (and have liked - may those fine rods and their wonderful memories rest in peace!) These two Shortsticks cast better than the VAST majority of rods I've casted for their line weights. And if I wanted to cast using mostly my wrist, these rods will excel! Try doing that with any of your rods! I don't know about you, but I certainly know of a few casters out there who might be using "just a little too much" wrist. Or maybe thousands! 

Good Casting,

Mark

Great rod - marketed poorly.

Loomis should reissue the rod - make it one piece, built with the NRX graphite, Ultra light real seat and guides.  Market it is as the lightest 9wt ever.

I bet that would sell

18 hours ago, No Bull S said:

Good Casting,

Mark

Mark,get on them.You have the influence.............................I'd buy one in a minute.The rod companies are "marketing" glass again.Which are a lot of fun to fish.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:36 PM, No Bull S said:

."...the universal axiom in fly fishing which states: If you find an article of fly fishing tackle (or related) that you like, and it is REALLY good, buy a few of them because the better it is, the shorter the time it'll be available.

This has been proven to me again and again!"

Totally agree.  I take advantage of closeouts for gear I like that is about to be discontinued.  Have done it with Redington CPS rods, certain Powell rods, Airflo coldwater clear lines, and older Scientific Anglers tarpon Intermediate lines and Skagit/UST heads and UST tips.  The latter are still around if you look.  Some companies change out their lines or rods (or lines) each year, just to create a buzz or attract new business.  I know there are some people who found nirvana with an older rod or other fly gear and wish they'd stocked up (Loomis IMX rods for ex).

I think for fishing for juvi tarpon out of a kayak the 8 foot rods will be great. I have been fishing a 9 foot rod from my kayak. I eventually have to do some highsticking to grab the leader. It just takes too long to get them in the last ten feet.

i just modified an old 7 wt rod by cutting off the top foot to shorten. Although I haven’t fished it yet, testing in the yard indicates it will be fine in the kayak. I guess I lose about 10 feet in the cast but still two false casts and back out.

i wish that I had tried this sooner. I will be able to apply a lot more pressure up close.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/19/2019 at 10:39 AM, Cpalms said:

Great rod - marketed poorly.

Loomis should reissue the rod - make it one piece, built with the NRX graphite, Ultra light real seat and guides.  Market it is as the lightest 9wt ever.

I bet that would sell

CP Bass Pro has a one piece 7’ 10” ten weight short stick named HEAT.  My HEAT is lined with the Air Flo Blue ridged saltwater line.  I let Chris G cast it on the lawn in June and after two casts to get the feel of it. Chris cast the whole line a 20 or 25 feet of backing as smooth a double haul I have ever seen! Chris adds a little extra move to boost the perfect casts!  I’m hoping to hook up with him this September or next Spring to see if I can add that “Flourish!”  :witty: Wicked Awesome Cool!

:howdy: Marco, thanks for coming up with the idea w the short stick idea! The Orvis Recon 7’ 10” is a testament that the design has a place in the Game.

Edited by RJ

As I've mentioned before I have the 1 piece Heat in a 10wt.  Love it on my boat.  Fits in a standard gunnel rod storage rack and I have no problem throwing 80' when the conditions are right.  Building a Sage Small Mouth Bass2 right now.