jesgord

Tipping a Surf Guide?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Cp

 

Agree cultural differences play a very large part.

 

Do the guys who have this expectation ever question themselves.

 

Do they not read history. Money overcomes the stigma of being patronised. This is very telling.

 

If it really is the case that most guides have this expectation then they are not going to get either their fee or tip from me.

If many people feel same way then it’s madness lose say $300 for a shore Guide and $600 for a boat guide for a $100 Hand out.

Wonder if this ever crosses their minds.

 

The custom of gratuities for mates and unpaid crew no probs other than why can’t they be paid properly in the first place by the operator. In the U.K. decent crew look after the unpaid helpers on a charter boat.

 

What you describe at some fishing lodges is sickening. But why would us Europeans be spared the hustle. Maybe we may openly be resistive that is the politest way I can put it.

 

I feel for any Fisher who for whatever reason needs to use a Guide who is struggling with this issue.

 

Do any Guides  out there take a lead and insist on no tip.

 

Or is there more chance of a pig flying to the moon.

 

Mike

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All the guides I have used have been tipped but I used a guide in FL, it was his own business and we tipped him and I think he was very surprised and very thankful. I do think if I fish with an owner, I do not need to tip, some guides get 600+ a day, they are not waiters  or barbers with those rates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of two people who own and run a big money tourist business and play themselves off as workers and take tips. When it comes to spending they throw nickles around like they were manhole covers. Another large business in my area has a take out counter big tip jar right next to the register so his customers can supplement his employees salaries while he's cruising in his 60' Viking. When I feel a tip is in order I generally over tip especially if extra effort was put forth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aneary said:

All the guides I have used have been tipped but I used a guide in FL, it was his own business and we tipped him and I think he was very surprised and very thankful. I do think if I fish with an owner, I do not need to tip, some guides get 600+ a day, they are not waiters  or barbers with those rates.

I now believe the guide should tip me for hiring him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Bill, the Surf Rat, would chime in on this subject.

Or any other guide.

 

And, for the record

 

My painter is worth more than any fishing guide.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, levari said:

I never hired a guide but just wondering since the guides are not working on salary why would you tip them? When I hire a painter for my house I don’t tip him. Why would fishing guides who work for themselves should be tipped?  

That's what i was thinking too. Unless the guide works for a guide company and is just an employee, but if a guide is doing it on his own, and you pay him a fee why a tip too? :howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, jimmy z said:

That's what i was thinking too. Unless the guide works for a guide company and is just an employee, but if a guide is doing it on his own, and you pay him a fee why a tip too? :howdy:

he will tell his wife that he fished a cheap **** today and he will use it as an excuse not to take her out for dinner and dancing ...

 

Edited by levari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, levari said:

he will tell his wife that he fished a cheap **** today and he use it as an excuse not to take her out for dinner and dancing ...

 

Cheapskate, lol:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In terms of painters and auto techs give them beer. We like beer. Fishing industry, leave a tip no matter what. If you can't afford it, don't go. It's not about buying love, it's another way of giving thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is obviously a cash business! If the person is not paying the taxes on the business which I hope wouldn't be the case then that's a tip in itself I guess! I dont think a tip is required on a cash business!!!

Edited by Fishy4335

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bronson said:

if you can afford a guide or a charter you can afford to tip .....id rather stay home and eat pb and j then go out and stiff a waiter on a tip......no way I'm gonna grab some beers and a good meal after a trip  knowing I stiffed a guide and he and potentially his family are having jam sandwiches. 

Point taken and this isn't all about trying to avoid tips, I'm a very good tipper but there are boundaries. As for your statement, the waitress definitely needs and deserves  a tip, stay home if you can't afford it. Now, if the guide made $75 cash per hour and that wasn't going to a service or company it was all the guides take, then perhaps one may think that was more than fair compensation. In addition, perhaps by tipping the guide on top of his $75 an hour cash take the guide can now eat at the best restaurant in town whilst I need to eat pizza cuz' I spent all my money on a guide.  Now, if I hire a guide and they work for a service and are paid an hourly wage of even $20-25 an hour then I would tip them. Now for services like barbers, owners or not they get tips, thats how they survive.

 

My point is don't get get overly generous where it doesn't belong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never really understood the whole custom of tipping. I would rather pay one price for something, with all the extras like tips included, than to have to use my discretion at the end of the transaction and decide upon leaving an extra amount of money. I made an error in tipping at a banquet once and it cost me substantially more than it should have. But I didn’t realize it until after the fact and it’s not like I could go back and ask for my money back; the waiters were already high fiving one another.  Just give me a price quote, with everything included and we’ll all know what to expect and be happier in the end. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that tipping a fishing guide is warranted if he/she goes above and beyond the expectations of the day.  For a standard, routine trip, I do not tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 mins ago, valentine said:

I never really understood the whole custom of tipping. I would rather pay one price for something, with all the extras like tips included, than to have to use my discretion at the end of the transaction and decide upon leaving an extra amount of money. I made an error in tipping at a banquet once and it cost me substantially more than it should have. But I didn’t realize it until after the fact and it’s not like I could go back and ask for my money back; the waiters were already high fiving one another.  Just give me a price quote, with everything included and we’ll all know what to expect and be happier in the end. 

Tipping depends on service. If a tip is included in the service charge and you get poor service ,are you gonna ask for the tip money back? Also there is no reward for mediocrity or just showing up.:howdy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.