jesgord

Tipping a Surf Guide?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Never been out with a surf guide before....but am traveling away from my home waters this weekend and decided to hire a local guide to take me and a buddy out Saturday night.  Is it customary to tip these guys on top of their standard rate?  (I always tip out the mate(s) when I go on a charter boat.....but there is no mat in this situation) If tipping is customary/expected, what is the range/norm?  Thanks!

I usually always tip in this situation unless the experience was just bad.  Never used a surf guide but have been on plenty of charters - I tip even if it is a small one man operation without mates.  

Only time I did not tip was a NJ Striper Charter where the Captain and mates were off the charts asshats.  Spent the entire evening running the boat fast in "search" of bass schools.  Blowing past other boats at WOT and screaming at us when we did stop to fish (which was only three times in 4 hours) about technique etc.   I fish often and hard and do have a clue, no need to yell about how to snag a bunker.

We stopped to snag bait and 1st move was to tell me that my gear was no good for live bunker because I was not using a bait runner reel.  I was using something way better overall.  Should have ignored the Capt.  but I switched over and used the boat's gear.  Snagged a bunker and it got taken by a bass before it made the boat - Captain's POS outfit jammed and that was all she wrote.

After that the Capt. ran us up and down the coast at WOT execept  when he tried to mug a group catching off a jetty - got within 50 yards or so and started screaming at the shore anglers that he was a professional and they need to stop casting WOW!

we ended up with ONE bluefish and the Capt. had the balls to tell us how hard he worked looking for fish and how he burned up lots of fuel. (yeah **** because you never stopped to fish lol)

Only time I did not tip and

I never hired a guide but just wondering since the guides are not working on salary why would you tip them? When I hire a painter for my house I don’t tip him. Why would fishing guides who work for themselves should be tipped?  

1 min ago, levari said:

I never hired a guide but just wondering since the guides are not working on salary why would you tip them? When I hire a painter for my house I don’t tip him. Why would fishing guides who work for themselves should be tipped?  

Well i get the point.  I guess tip if the guide gives you great service or extra time etc.  Most will not watch the clock and take you off a bite just because time is up especially if the bite comes at the end of the trip

I did surf guiding in RI for three years back in the early 2000's and never expected a tip although several clients gave me some extra $$ after a trip.

31 mins ago, levari said:

Exactly.  

3 hours ago, levari said:

That's a poor analogy.  You are not developing a relationship with your painter.  You are not spending time doing something you love with your painter.  You tip a guide well, the next time he very well might stay out longer, burn more fuel, give you a prime booking date.  Your painter is just going to come paint your house.

Bottom line is the guy is expecting 15-20% as is customary.

37 mins ago, Cpalms said:

That's a poor analogy.  You are not developing a relationship with your painter.  You are not spending time doing something you love with your painter.  You tip a guide well, the next time he very well might stay out longer, burn more fuel, give you a prime booking date.  Your painter is just going to come paint your house.

Bottom line is the guy is expecting 15-20% as is customary.

I will use the same painter more often than the same fishing guide. The painter can also do some extra work not in the contract. I don’t give a crap what the fishing guide expectations. I am interested to find out why he deserves tips and the painter does not. The reasons you provided do not hold water in my opinion. 

3 mins ago, levari said:

I will use the same painter more often than the same fishing guide. The painter can also do some extra work not in the contract. I don’t give a crap what the fishing guide expectations. I am interested to find out why he deserves tips and the painter does not. The reasons you provided do not hold water in my opinion. 

you win.

I have fished with the same guide many times.  I appreciate his hard work, his knowledge and the fact that he can get me anywhere we need to go.  More than that he’s a really good guy.   I don’t think he ever expects to get a tip, but he always sincerely expresses his thanks.   

Tipping in any situation is up to the tipper, but I believe that 15-20% is appropriate unless you are not satisfied with the services provided. 

8 mins ago, levari said:

Ok, I agree with everything you said.. I hope you feel better now..

Well, I was trying to make you fell better by letting you win the argument. So I guess I do. 

If the guide is the owner, I don't believe a tip is in order. If you hire a guide service and they send a staff member, then a tip is in order (15-20%). Same thing on a charter boat, I tip mates, not the captain or owner. Painters don't get tipped either, they are paid a living wage, not a waiter or waitress wage or even a hair stylist, why would I tip them. Tip my auto mechanic, I think not, he charges me $100 an hour, tip is included.

For those that think they will get extra, your fooling yourself into thinking you can buy friends. Now, if we are talking bartenders, hotel staff,  waiters, hair folks, etc. you need to tip them because most don't make the wages without the tips to survive the way they deserve. In my world, tips are earned and deserved, they are not some kind of gesture.