BostonGuy

Boston Harbor Dogfish

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I'm taking my son and a few of his friends out fishing Saturday afternoon in Boston Harbor on a 20' boat.  Usually fish for flounder and bass.  They are excited to catch a shark so I wanted see if I could put them on some dogfish.  Normally I try and avoid the dogs at all costs and it's been a while since I encountered one in Boston Harbor.  Based on having found them 10 years ago at Thieves Ledge I was planning on trying that. Hoping someone has a better idea for finding the dogs in the Boston Harbor area.  Anyone care to share some intel on the Haba dogs with me?  Never thought I'd be asking for a dog spot!

My main goal is to get them excited about fishing even if I have to deal with unhooking dogs that rolled up my line :)

Thanks!

You're a good man BG. I caught tons while codfishing the harbor, in my opinion it will be the luck of the draw, and just stay on the bottom.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:54 AM, BostonGuy said:

I'm taking my son and a few of his friends out fishing Saturday afternoon in Boston Harbor on a 20' boat.  Usually fish for flounder and bass.  They are excited to catch a shark so I wanted see if I could put them on some dogfish.  Normally I try and avoid the dogs at all costs and it's been a while since I encountered one in Boston Harbor.  Based on having found them 10 years ago at Thieves Ledge I was planning on trying that. Hoping someone has a better idea for finding the dogs in the Boston Harbor area.  Anyone care to share some intel on the Haba dogs with me?  Never thought I'd be asking for a dog spot!

My main goal is to get them excited about fishing even if I have to deal with unhooking dogs that rolled up my line :)

Thanks!

Fish deep. 

Back when we used to fish for cod from party boats out of Plymouth.  We caught lots of dogfish.  We were told in order not to catch them to keep our lines right on the bottom and that a few feet up from the bottom and you'd catch dogfish.

We were also told not to use the pink teasers and rubber squids that I brought because pink/red attract dogfish.

So...

Keep your line a foot or three off the bottom.

Use pink/red teasers or rubber squids 

:)

One year you could get dogs on pencils at nahant. Crazy. I just don't see them inshore much anymore. Best bet is too go out at B Bouy outside of the Graves and drift chunks. You can also go out there and live line a pogie on a 4 or 5oz weight and drift. You never know what will hit. Watch the 3 mile line for Bass if you find em out there.