Gwiz

Back to the fun..

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Over the years I've done very well on different lures with red head white body. The standard colors white,yellow, black, green, have done well too, but I've always liked the look of the red head over white.

I found a red white mag darter on the beach last year, Cleaned it up, still haven't used it. Maybe I should ? I always go with the more natural colors. 

1 min ago, bdowning said:

I found a red white mag darter on the beach last year, Cleaned it up, still haven't used it. Maybe I should ? I always go with the more natural colors. 

Color doesn’t matter with those. Fish it.

Have a nice white with red head Gibbs pencil that haven’t used yet. 

Maybe tomorrow morning I’ll head down and get it wet. 

When I was a kid I bought a ton of lures in green mac color. Loved the look. Still do. The rapalas from 30yesrs ago had a great look. 

17 mins ago, Chemikillz said:

Color doesn’t matter with those. Fish it.

Probably true. Habit more than anything,

Anyone remember when the old Rebels first came out? I think it was in the early 1960s. All the fishing mags would run full page ads.

As a kid I caught loads of schoolies on them. It was almost as if they couldnt resist it. The chartreuse was a hot color, as was the broken back. I'm not even sure Rebel is still in business?

Mr G, they are still around. Google "Rebel Lures" and when you get to their web site click on the "heritage" subheading - interesting history.

Regards

Puck

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

Anyone remember when the old Rebels first came out? I think it was in the early 1960s. All the fishing mags would run full page ads.

As a kid I caught loads of schoolies on them. It was almost as if they couldnt resist it. The chartreuse was a hot color, as was the broken back. I'm not even sure Rebel is still in business?

They’re gonna have to change the name soon. Racist...

4 hours ago, Gwiz said:

Over the years I've done very well on different lures with red head white body. The standard colors white,yellow, black, green, have done well too, but I've always liked the look of the red head over white.

Gwiz over the years by trial and error the fishing got a little better when you has some red on the plug, jig or spoon . Red is a proven color that most fish can actually see. Not all red however strange as it is

Back in the 60-70's I found myself in Danny Marine's pharmacy looking through the fingernail polish cabinet for the right pink color and trying to make it to the checkout counter without any women seeing me.

I found one strip down the side of the black back Rebel made all the difference in the world.

I caught a lot of fish on large rebel minnow silver black back. That was years ago.   Compared to new SPs they were lousy casters. 

3 hours ago, Duke of the North Shore said:

Doesn’t Rebel make the never fails Jumping Minnow? I think Rebel moved more in the freshwater direction over the years 

now that i think of it, i believe they do.