turkaholic

Zapped in the sand

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Last evening was juicy for sure. Can’t remember the last time I surf fished with shorts and crocs. Figured I would shoot out to Blocks Sandy point and throw a few casts. No thunder, no lightning on BI at this time just dense fog. Stepped out of my truck and it felt like bugs on my feet. Grabbed my rod, threw a cast and my feet started burning and getting shocked like crazy. I jumped out of my crocs and ran to my truck, wtf. Crazy crap. Couldn’t stand that I didn’t know if there was any fish there. Slapped on my waders and did a little casting with no zapping. Still got the heck out of there. Anyone else ever see this?

That is weird. Sounds like the ground was statically charged or something.

I've fished in bad lightning storms multiple times and once where bolts were hitting the ground less than 1/2 mile from me. It sounded like bombs going off. I could see the bolts. And I never experienced anything like you described. For the record, I was in scuba boots and was in the water. I was young and crazy. I wouldn't fish in those conditions anymore. Nobody should.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cloud-to-ground lightning comes  from the sky down, but the part you see comes from the ground up. A typical cloud-to-ground flash lowers a path of negative electricity (that we cannot see) towards the ground in a series of spurts. Objects on the ground generally have a positive charge.

Now you how a lightning rod feels, should have played the lottery that day. 

I fished waist deep in a channel with another guy.we were counting the seconds between the lightning and thunder, what morons we were. I got nervous and we left.

Edited by squidder 329

Posted (edited) · Report post

I did that before,,,the rods were sparking in my hands as I ran to the truck. ....

Edited by HugeDinghy

I heard on the Baltimore TV news a few days ago that the mid-Atlantic coastal shoreline has been invaded by an itty-bitty stinging jellyfish.  Sounded like they were no bigger than small generic peas, maybe smaller.  They were small enough not to be noticible.  And they were causing minor irritation to swimmers.  They seem to be present at spotty location up&down the coastal beaches.  So who knows for sure what you experienced.

1 hour ago, HugeDinghy said:

I did that before,,,the rods were sparking in my hands as I ran to the truck. ....

I got zapped when a sparked jumped from my rod in the spike to my hand as I went to grab it. My buddy's could see the arc. We left. :laugh: 

Lucked out & tempted fate by going back out.

I was lucky for being shocked from wet sand a few times from near strikes. Not fishing-but camping.

I take off long before other people when I'm fishing-- most times I miss the good bite and the storms are miles away.

I’m thinking you got really lucky when you went back out. I would not roll those dice again. You have a good. Story to tell. Leave it at that.

I've never experience that fishing, but I did feel the electricity on Daytona Beach during spring break in the early 90s. They had a patrol driving up and down the beach with a loudspeaker announcing that there was an electric storm and that everyone should clear the beach. The storm came quickly, we saw the lightening, and I felt it travel from my feet through my body. It was not painful, but it was definitely electricity. Very strange feeling.

During one storm, I stopped by the beach to check it out and walked out on a cliff peninsula that jutted out into the ocean. After a moment I felt/saw the hairs on my arm rise with a static electricity sort of feeling and I bolted (pun intended) back to the car real quick!