Evil-Bay

Paint for Tins

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi guys, 

I have a few bare tins I would like to paint on.  Would Rustoleum spray paint be the best option?  Looking to painting some green and some pink.  Also hoping it would have a gloss to it after it dries.

Thoughts??

Depends on what you want to do. Powder paints these days are the best option if you want to paint the entire jig/spoon/tin. it's very durable & can be obtained in many colors, plus high gloss finish or otherwise. But, it requires them to be heated to apply the paint, and heated again to cure it. So, multiple steps. Should not be a problem with tin, as long as you use a heat source that has some control, like a toaster oven. That's what I use for jigs with powder paints on lead, but I do know guys who use heat guns & even propane torches with lead. Tin melts at a lower temp, so you would need to be careful with the heat. 

Vinyl paints are possibly the next best, as they will generally last longer than enamels, and unless you have spray apparatus, would have to be dipped. Again, this would be painting the entire lure.

Spray enamel, would be good enough if you're masking off an area and only want paint on part of the lure. Many older jigs were painted with enamel before these other paints came about. 

Powder coat works wonders. And its cheap, lasts longer than spray paint and dries way faster. Ive done over 100 3/4 to 4oz jigs with one small jar of powder coat and an $8 toaster oven from a thrift store. Worthy investment.

Powder is the way to go. I've done quite a few jig heads in the past. Best it with a torch for a few seconds and dip in the jar. Piece of cake. You could go further and cure in an oven like @Jim H

said, but it's not really necessary.

Check out pro-tec powder paint. That's what I use.

2 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Powder is the way to go. I've done quite a few jig heads in the past. Best it with a torch for a few seconds and dip in the jar. Piece of cake. You could go further and cure in an oven like @Jim H

said, but it's not really necessary.

Check out pro-tec powder paint. That's what I use.

Powder paints are basically a thermo plastic, so for the best results, curing is necessary. However, if the base material is heated sufficiently, and the powder melts & coats, it's going to last longer than most jigs, particularly if used in open water where it's not going to get banged up much. I use a fluid bed too for coating to get a uniform coat and not use too much powder, which tends to drip with the heat. No different than other paints in that regard, where too thick, and the paint doesn't last as long.

The first powder paints that I ever used, was just as chitala383 said, heat & dip, shake off the excess, and sometimes heat a bit more. That worked for small jig heads, but as I got into painting larger jigs, didn't work as well, nor produce the best result. At least, not a very durable result. 

Pro Tec is sold as a fishing lure coating, but I doubt it's made for that specific purpose. More probable is it's purchased from some of the manufacturers in bulk, and repackaged & relabeled under the Pro tec brand name. I buy most of my powder by the pound, and in some cases pay as much for a pound as Pro Tec charges for an ounce or two. It's probable, like with many other things, that the actual number of manufacturers is limited, and many of the "brands" are from those who repackage from bulk. Of course, how much you need and how much you want to spend certainly plays into the choice. A pound is a lot of powder. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Shrink tubing.  Comes in a variety of colors and diameters.

Edited by DZ