Ben Lippen

Top ten reasons why Sol became the best fishing website ever.....

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

In no particular order other than how they came to my mind. And present living company excepted because that's a whole 'nother list...

10x10

Grandpa Old Spook

JonS

Derf

Bill Klein

Vinny

Awesome John

Plug

Striper53

TonyG

Sadly, many of you who might read this list will not know who these great men were. Or what they did to get Sol to it's place. Yeah, half of them were Administrators or Moderators. The other half were not.  But every one of them gave way more than they ever got back, to this site and community. 

And not a one of them left because they wanted to. 

They all bought into Tim's  vision, and worked hard for nothing to make it come true.

We all owe them a debt of gratitude, each and every time we open a page of this site.

GOS told me loooong ago, "...if you have a legitimate gripe, say so in public. But then it's up to you to help make things better. It is a community after all, not a dictatorship..."

im new to the forum. was a member back in 2008. couldnt remember my password and my yahoo email got hacked so no way of retreiving it. 

but like every forum in this internet world, people who share and love it help make a great website, forum and sport. 

like many things in life, there are bad apples everywhere...

The community is what makes this site great.

There are amazing individuals of course.......but the fact that so many great individuals stay for so long.  Is a testament to the greatness of the community as a whole.

I'd say 1-9 is Tim giving a crap and being sensible. I've seen other social sites die from both over and under moderation.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tim.....

And a whole bunch of really great contributors....

It was High Plains Drifter that brought me here.

Edited by olvart

I like that this site gives me a place to talk about the intricicies of striper fishing.......Try that with family of friends and there eyes glaze over and they try to change the subject, I also think this site has the ability to turn guys into C&R fisherman(at least it did for me) who give a damn about the fishery and that can spread through a network of fisherman that person knows and contribute to less dead Bass.

Really, when you think of how it started, it's amazing how big it's grown and how long it's run.

Remember when Tim had a daily message on the home page.

DPowell's striper cartoon things.

Fisherman are generally cool people I think. 

Tims. There are literally hundreds of online fishing forums none have a more engaged and passionate troop leader. After tims its all those who contribute to Sol in a positive manner. Be that through responding to questions on threads or sharing a recipe. 

Glad to be here for my 11 or 12th season.

Best,

Ctown 

I definitely agree this is a great site. I just checked my profile and realized that I will have been a member for 10 years this September. Here's the amazing thing, I don't even live on the east coast anymore. I moved the the middle of the country 7 years ago, and I still visit SOL regularly. 

5 hours ago, Billybob said:

Really, when you think of how it started, it's amazing how big it's grown and how long it's run.

Remember when Tim had a daily message on the home page.

DPowell's striper cartoon things.

Fisherman are generally cool people I think. 

Week in review was epic.  

And I agree about fishermen, why else would I get in a van of complete strangers and drive 5 hours to meet more complete strangers?