fishweewee

50%, half....

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I would guess, mostly those who work, pay taxes, and are fed up with the states increasingly obvious schemes to separate us from our hard earned money. Too bad. It's a nice state with a lot to offer. But the camels back is getting tired...

Welcome the new residents of your wonderful state. lol

More Californians are considering fleeing the state as they blame sky-high costs, survey finds

A growing number of Californians are contemplating moving from the state due to the sky-high cost of living, with sentiment highest among millennials, according to a new study.

Fifty-three percent say they are considering fleeing, representing a jump over the 49 percent a year ago.

Connecticut was their first choice

it just seems that all we ever hear about are new ways to raise revenue....NEVER do we hear about budget cuts or perhaps reducing some entitlements...... The way the system is now it encourages people to stop trying and go on the dole... and the middle class continues to erode away to pay for it all

Check out the real estate mkt, it tells the story. I wish I could sell my house for a reasonable price.  Very few good jobs moving this way, very sad. 

Pennsylvania is looking better and better all the time. 

I'm waiting to see "migrants" crossing the Delaware from NY and NJ with empty water jug floaties under their arm pits.

I’m stuck here for 10 years, maybe 15 but then we are out. 

I own a small business, clients come and go but there has been a marked increase in people leaving (moving out of state) the last 6 months. In past years we’d lose 6-7 due to moves each year. We are over 10 this year so far. Some younger people splitting, middle aged and some about ready to retire. It sucks. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Why are you stuck here?  Was it that much cheaper in NJ?  I don't think it is that much cheaper in Penn w/their income taxes.

Everyone should examine what appeals to them and make a decision based on all the pluss/minuses of a state.  Taxes are higher here in the NE than the south - so if taxes are important to you, move south.  Schools are much better here than in the south so if schools are important to you, move, north.  Weigh what matters and act accordingly.

I know someone who is moving south bc he says taxes are too high.  His problems go beyond taxes and moving south isn't going to really change the issues that are causing him to move.

Edited by PaulS

44 mins ago, PaulS said:

Why are you stuck here?  Was it that much cheaper in NJ? 

Can't be NJ - we're the #1 state in the nation for people leaving the state

Property taxes here are so high you really don't own your home, you rent it from the government

Edited by Sudsy

So, you really don’t think you’d get the same response in any other state?  Do you think that half of the people wouldn’t love to leave TN or LA or AL or even PA?  I bet you’d get +/-50% in Hawaii.  People are never satisfied. 

Disclaimer: come retirement, I’m leaving CT. Ideally, 6-months or so later and I’ll leave that place too and continue to repeat until I run out of places that’ll take me. 

10 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Can't be NJ - we're the #1 state in the nation for people leaving the state

Property taxes here are so high you really don't own your home, you rent it from the government

My property taxes are very high.  Where are those people leaving NJ for?

I wish Conn. was #1 in all categories -, low taxes, good schools, etc. but doesn't seem possible.

Edited by PaulS

5 mins ago, PaulS said:

My property taxes are very high.  Where are those people leaving NJ for?

Low tax Red states like Florida.....where they will still vote for Democrats that want higher taxes, And in 10 years when Dems get control they will want to leave because they are paying too much again. It's amazing.....

11 mins ago, PaulS said:

Where are those people leaving NJ for?

North Carolina is becoming NJ south - and the natives aren't very happy about it

17 mins ago, ridenfish said:

Low tax Red states like Florida.....where they will still vote for Democrats that want higher taxes, And in 10 years when Dems get control they will want to leave because they are paying too much again. It's amazing.....

actually according to this study the majority isn't moving to Florida. Florida counties are 3 of the top 20 counties with NY and Penn. looking like they are the counties near the top.

Where did you get your info. from bc it looks like it is wrong.

.https://www.njfuture.org/2018/10/25/out-migration-from-nj-part-1/

Edited by PaulS