erz

Surf Rod Grip Diameter

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I finally received my CTS 1-3oz blank (a few days after the estimated delivery time for those who may be curious but that was likely FedEx's fault) and I underestimated the skinyness of the butt.

I was thinking of using 2-3 layers of some adhesive backed cork tape from Amazon (it seems pretty thin) and putting some shrink tube over it. I'm going to use a Fuji plate style seat—I'm worried about the seat moving after a while, the longevity of this kind of cork tape and whether or not it will give.

Does anybody have any suggestions on how to build up some diameter without adding too much weight?

Split Grip might help. Maybe consider eva that has been worked down to a smaller diameter?

I have that blank, I have one layer of grip tape on it. While I don't have huge hands they ain't small either. I find the grip that I have to be comfortable despite the diameter of the rod.

I do not like the idea of multiple layers of cork tape on a rod.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Split Grip might help. Maybe consider eva that has been worked down to a smaller diameter?

I have that blank, I have one layer of grip tape on it. While I don't have huge hands they ain't small either. I find the grip that I have to be comfortable despite the diameter of the rod.

I do not like the idea of multiple layers of cork tape on a rod.

This is what I was most concerned about..

I just don't like EVA.

For whatever reason, I have trouble wrapping regular 1/16 inch rod building cork tape on thin diameter rods. I find that I have trouble getting it tight and I get gaps. Maybe I'll just put some shrink tube over some regular cork tape and call it a day.

Edited by erz

I wouldn't worry about adding anything below the reel seat except some heat shrink. Unless you're worried about durability that is just going to add weight.

For the reel seat and grip, turned down eva with heat shrink over it would probably add the most thickness with the best durability and least weight.

You'd be surprised at how much a layer of 1/8" cork tape plus shrink will build up the thickness. After the cork tape spray it with 3m 77 spray adhesive ( any hardware store, auto parts or craft store sells it). Then slide your shrink over and shrink it down then use the plate seat. Oldest rod I did this to is 10 years old and has never shifted.

I’m also not a huge fan of EVA and I recently built a Suzuki Special with “Large Diameter Cork Grips” I got from Mudhole. I’d post a link, but I’m not sure if that’s permitted.

I went with just the 10 inch, but used it as a split grip with other cork grips that I already had on hand for above/below the reel seat.  I’m kind of pleased with it though, because it accommodates the Fuji butt caps.

I haven't put it through its paces yet, so we’ll see how it holds up.

I used one layer of 1/16" cork tape and then winn grip tape on my last surf rod and it came out perfect, could use two layers of tape, or the thicker 1/8" if you really wanted bigger diameter. 

You didn't say how long your blank is.  With a longer blank it is liable to end up tip heavy, which will tire you out quicker if you are fishing plugs, in my experience.  I've used a couple wraps of cork tape for my handles, brings the diameter out nicely and helps to balance the rod.  My 9 and 10' rods balance about 3" in front of the reel stem.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, buz23 said:

You didn't say how long your blank is.  With a longer blank it is liable to end up tip heavy, which will tire you out quicker if you are fishing plugs, in my experience.  I've used a couple wraps of cork tape for my handles, brings the diameter out nicely and helps to balance the rod.  My 9 and 10' rods balance about 3" in front of the reel stem.

It's a 10' but the blank is light, I'm using titanium guides, a slightly longer than usual butt and a VS150 with the rod so I have no idea what to expect.

I added an extra layer of 1/16th over the top of the original, I made sure to get it tight and I went in the opposite direction of the original layer.

Right now it's sitting on the lathe with some size D thread over it. I plan on leaving that on there a few hours. Hopefully that will help things stick and compress the tape enough that the small gaps will be less noticeable.

I'm much happier with the diameter with the second layer of tape. I think it looks good so far but I'm debating whether or not I should still put shrink over it.

The butt is at about .825 inches, diameter seems slightly slimmer than my GSB108M..

Should be interesting getting some thread up that hill towards the tip once I get shrink over it.

IMG_20190723_121729.jpg

IMG_20190723_121745.jpg

1 hour ago, frazerp said:

I'm sure that Hudson Whiskey will help ...

Hahaha, it won't make things worse.. It's helped me this far.

8 hours ago, erz said:

The butt is at about .825 inches, diameter seems slightly slimmer than my GSB108M..

Should be interesting getting some thread up that hill towards the tip once I get shrink over it.

IMG_20190723_121729.jpg

IMG_20190723_121745.jpg

Sand it down

4 mins ago, Drew C. said:

Sand it down

I took the thread off, going to let it sit for a few days and then hit it with some 400 when I find the time.. The thread helped a bit, it's almost seamless in most places.

I don't know how the factory rods have such perfect grips.