Fishy4335

Bunker Balled Up?!

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

A few days ago in a certain area bunker was scattered. Today I go back and there were tightly balled up pods, no fish on them though. When they ball up like that does that mean that predators are in the area? Or that Predators were attacking them recently? Or can they ball up like that for another reason

they can ball up and flip out for no reason other than they scare themselves. 

these fuqrs didn't have a care in the world the other day....they'd still get spooked and ball up tight and flip out. 56856018-0308-47C9-939E-678B4AFC9C0F.jpeg.da136bf2fbe6835742ff8c701794b8c5.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is the time to start throwing treble hooks and gather bait for Blue and Striper fishing .. And when you gathered enough Bunker the last cast you live line the Bunker to catch your trophy fish....

Edited by sytheteacher
spelling

When I've seen them in the pod like above, I believe they're feeding. In water with depth and near a bulkhead, where I can easily eyeball them, they rise and drop in that circle like pod. Their mouth and gills seem to be opening very wide, like they're filter feeding.

18 hours ago, Fishy4335 said:

A few days ago in a certain area bunker was scattered. Today I go back and there were tightly balled up pods, no fish on them though. When they ball up like that does that mean that predators are in the area? Or that Predators were attacking them recently? Or can they ball up like that for another reason

That's normal behavior for bunker; they ball up quite frequently just to swim around, and they do that as a defense mechanism. You never know when a hungry blue/striper/thresher/brown shark is going to come at you, so might as well be ready for anything if you're a bunker! Scattered fish is a tough one to pinpoint; vids you see of bunker getting eaten along the beaches always show them tightly packed. I've had several instances while fishing where the bunker were somewhat scattered, and bass n stripers were mixed in them. 

Had the sale happen in front of me one night in no more then 8 inches of water. And they were what seemed like mating i think??.. they were not being stalked by fish I've seen and heard that before its very recognizable. But more like jivating so figured it was mating time