Wilgabeast

Selfish arrogance at the canal . Surprise surprise a

Rate this topic

215 posts in this topic

Just now, z-man said:

Could you imagine being on the jury for this case it court? 

I shot him because he brandished his gun after I yelled at him for casting over my line while fishing. 

What!!!!!!

I hope that doesn't happen to anyone on here or anyone for that matter but it does sound like it's getting very sporty down there.

I was curious and looked up online and found an attorneys website out of Mass on the topic. I don't know if it's true or not but that's what it says:

Even if you legally own a weapon and you do not use it on someone else, you can still be arrested on weapons charges if you brandish it. As such, it's important to know what brandishing is and what it can mean for you.

Essentially, brandishing a weapon just means showing someone else that you have it. This is done in an angry fashion or as a threat. In many cases, the person who brandishes the weapon will point it at the other person; however, charges for displaying a weapon can come about even if it is never pointed at anyone.

The law basically thinks of brandishing as a way of threatening people. You may not shoot at them or harm them at all, but you're still showing them you have the weapon to intimidate them, or you're pointing it at them to make them think you're going to shoot.

In a lot of ways, this is similar to the way that you can be arrested for assault if you threaten to hit someone. You don't have to hit them to break the law.

There have been cases where people are charged with crimes like these and then claimed they never meant any harm. For example, a man in Texas was arrested for displaying a gun in his car, and he said he was just trying to adjust the sights while he sat in a traffic jam. It's important to be careful with how guns are used, though, since this story shows how arrests can be made even if you don't have any ill will.

If you're facing brandishing charges in Massachusetts, be sure you know all of your defense options.

Source: US Concealed Carry, "Brandishing Law" K.L. Jamison, accessed Dec. 07, 2015

It's easy to say about taking pictures and all this and that but when you're in that situation your brain don't even work you just got to get going walkaway collect your thoughts for a few minutes and then call the popo

Mabey There should be a shoot out between a bunch of canal kooks!  Get that hell hole closed down for good!  No disrespect to the real deal guys that fish it but between the fights, dead fish, littering and scumbags that place needs to end! 

1 hour ago, jayfaro said:

I’m sorry but this isn’t correct. I am able to carry conceal my firearm anywhere it is lawful. Other than municipal buildings, airports courts, etc anyone with a Class A LTC can carry legally. Your LTC could be issued for sporting target only. There is no confusion on what my Class A LTC allows for. And I’m not sure if it’s ever been legal to keep a firearm in the glove box. 

I was going to say the same thing. Also you can carry loaded while in your car as long as it is under your direct control. Most towns that are not cities still have zero problems with issuing Ltc Class A.

As far as the glovebox goes MA gun laws were written by 2nd graders IMO. I have a feeling a good lawyer could prove your innocence but I would not want to be the guinea pig. Transport and storage have some pretty blatant grey areas as does many of the MA gun laws. A non loaded firearm can be stored in a “locked case; locked trunk; or other secure container” separate from ammunition. How a locked glovebox is any less safe than a locked box sitting in the backseat or trunk(that could easily be stolen) makes zero sense. Then you have the transport of large and non large capacity shotguns/rifles. One has to be locked in a case while the other does not during transit. Who the hell thinks of these things? 

Yet any gun can be left in a vehicle unattended as long as it is locked in a case; trunk; or secure container. Unloaded of course and separate from ammo. 

10 hours ago, yemista said:

Lol,  guess you're not too smart leaving recorded death threats,  more likely than not tied to an email address that has your real first and last name on it. 

Not a death threat. I threatened no one. A statement regarding self defense

every town in ma. is different when it comes to permits...it's up to the police chief as to what is stamped on your permit...here in chatham their all stamped "target practice" only...he said he doesn't want anyone carrying in public in his town.Again...back in the day with the old chief he didn't care..every sunday we'd pile in two dozen guns in the back of the wagon in plain view with hundreds of rounds to shoot all day at the a sand pit.. sounded like world war 3...no cop ever showed up....no more ,times change.

growing up here we had miles and miles of open beach to drive on an fish....no more it's all gone.

use to have open fires on the beaches...no problem cause we cleaned up after ourselves...then the hoards moved in and trashed everything,they shut that down..no more

The cause?..to many people moved in...I'm surprised the ditch hasn't been shut down already.

10 hours ago, robc22 said:

I hope they never close the ditch.....The place is a jerk magnet thank goodness........I have all the other places to myself or share with the odd angler. Real anglers that are always polite and nice.

If they close the ditch, all those jerks gonna show up on the beach.......:Now that would suck!....:(

Very well put Rob,

except for those who are attempting to make a local spot they fish less noticeable by placing the other names of spots being better crowded and unruly? In the opinion of many long time rats that is what many of the posts about the canal of late is actually all about. It does work , but it, also, if true, only continues to make a bad situation worst.  The more we complain about a particular location the more likely it will continue to attract the mass of those who have never learned how to catch fish by themselves and also learned some common sense ethical practices From where I watched some fish of late catching fish I was able to see respectful fishermen , spaced in an appropriate distance apart and no second or third layer brain damaged souls looking to harm any one. I strongly believe that it took a while to learn bad habits and it could be turned around with the proper educational information that would make every one happy as a lark . Good bad or indifferent it has to begin with those who know what the right way to fish is appropriate and set the example for others to follow . It may be a cultural in nature , but no more then when I and others began fishing the ditch in the 40's , except we have many more individuals to deal with . The numbers are so overwhelming , all because they do not have other places to fish and we are making it easy by announcing where they can go along the whole canal itself . This was part of a conversation I had recently with some who feel it is a lost cause to make any attempts to increase the legal points in enforcing the present laws and making one that  no one can fish behind another while fishing the Cape Cod Canal, if for nothing more then keeping every one safe.    

10 hours ago, capesams said:

Because the parents aren't breeding responsible kids anymore...just fruit loops.

Steve once again that logic makes sense , however it has only gotten worst as this type of nonsense is exponentially learned from generation to generation and the lack of good examples has eluded the majority who now find the canal part of there home.

17 hours ago, Wilgabeast said:

I said something to a guy and he literally lifted his shirt to show me his gun .... I conceal carry also but is a 5$ jig worth a shoot out . I just told him I’ve been doing this 20 years now and it’s guys like him and his 20 buddies who ruin our sport and give the good guys a bad name 

Where I come from, that's brandishing. Most who do this are not usually properly licensed, which adds to the offenses to be considered by law enforcement.

I would have call 911 and waited for the spot to open up.

14 mins ago, Riptide said:

Everything's gone to $hit since that Trooper quit stalking the acess road with his cruiser checking on guys :laugh:

French and electric blue.    :th:

1 hour ago, capesams said:

every town in ma. is different when it comes to permits...it's up to the police chief as to what is stamped on your permit...here in chatham their all stamped "target practice" only...he said he doesn't want anyone carrying in public in his town.

Here is the problem with this, I can carry in “his” town because my permit covers the whole state. The chief is only restricting the people that reside in his town to lawfully carry. 

Every place I used to fish has turned to crap. Selfish (and dangerous) pricks everywhere. I went once last year and probably will never fish salt again. Anyone need a couple hundred plugs?

1 hour ago, capequahog said:

don't know what all the fuss is about there are no fish in the canal

you got that right ! :cool: