OutdoorLover

Surf Shark Fishing

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

also note, along with being prohibited to target the sharks, it's also prohibited to remove them from the water

I have always wanted to know, if I spent the time kayaking out whole dead bluefish on the southshore all summer long, would I ever get any of the species I am used to in FL? Has anyone ever caught, in the history of surf fishing long island, a hammer, tiger, or bull??? Ever???

45 mins ago, FishinDVM said:

I have always wanted to know, if I spent the time kayaking out whole dead bluefish on the southshore all summer long, would I ever get any of the species I am used to in FL? Has anyone ever caught, in the history of surf fishing long island, a hammer, tiger, or bull??? Ever???

Probably not but who knows..you would have a decent shot at a thresher tho they come in tight on the bunker pods and ive seen a few this year VERY close. Couldve hit one in the head with a plug close and another inside the inlet much closer than that.  Ive caught small hammers within a few miles off the beach by the FI reef but never heard of them by the surf.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Hammers and Tigers tend to stay off shore never heard of either being caught off the beach. Dont doubt they come close on occasion though. Threshers Duskys and some Makos do get real close and sometimes enter the inlets. Duskys used to breed in Zacks bay. Probably been a white or 2 near the beach. Never heard of a bull off long island. Basically Brown's and Sand Tigers from the sand.

Edited by the3fishheads

Posted (edited) · Report post

Skates, searobins and dogfish are easy prey for sharks.

Or other predators that are high on the food chain. If

the scavenger bite shuts down and you're not getting

reports on blues and bass from the lure fisherman, than

an educated assumption would be the sharks are out and

about. This isn't written in stone. It's a pattern that shows

the best consistency when trying to better my odds.

GOOD LUCK ! ! !

Edited by SandSpike1

On 7/26/2019 at 9:51 AM, FishinDVM said:

Bull sharks are not typically found off Long Island.  Tigers do occasionally come into the surf--we know this because a friend of mine once caught a tiger offshore that still had a bottom-fishing surf rig, including the puramid sinker, stuck in its face.  And hammerheads have been seen within a mile or so of Robert Moses this summer, so there's no reason why one of them might not come clase at night.

10 hours ago, CWitek said:

Bull sharks are not typically found off Long Island.  Tigers do occasionally come into the surf--we know this because a friend of mine once caught a tiger offshore that still had a bottom-fishing surf rig, including the puramid sinker, stuck in its face.  And hammerheads have been seen within a mile or so of Robert Moses this summer, so there's no reason why one of them might not come clase at night.

City I remember hearing  of a reported 100#+ bull caught  at Demo had to be at least 8 years ago now 

14 hours ago, ChasingTales said:

City I remember hearing  of a reported 100#+ bull caught  at Demo had to be at least 8 years ago now 

Once in a while, one will turn up, but they're rare.

Some believe that the fish that killed the people in the creek off Raritan Bay in 1916, that gave rise to Jaws, was a bull and not a white shark.

But I've been shark fishing off Long Island for about 35 years, and never saw one--although usually I'm farther offshore.

Bro..u aint kiddin.

I've been loyal to shark week this week and hit the inlet Wed morning for fluke... waded out..casted and back peddled big time to the shoreline.

Clump of seaweed tagged my leg and I nearly soiled frog togs :laugh:

Yep.. I'm a sissy boy this week