OutdoorLover

Surf Shark Fishing

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hey Guys!

Does anyone know anything about surf fishing for sharks on the North Fork? We are in Southold, NY and willing to travel up to an hour to accomplish this, even if it means traveling to the south fork. This is meant to be completely sport fishing and no sharks will be harmed. Our intentions are also to catch larger sharks, not the occasional baby sand shark caught in the peconics. I have caught sharks in the surf in the Bahamas, but never tried to do so up north.

Any information will be helpful! Thanks!

OutdoorLover

Heard a second hand report of a sighting of a fairly large shark within thirty yards of the beach at Pier Ave. in Jamesport recently. As a lobsterman in the Long Island Sound for twenty five years we would see huge breaches at times during the summer which some of the older fisherman would claim might be makos chasing bluefish. I personally have come across on two occasions the front half of a striped bass still alive dimpling the surface, but in the fall in the presents of seals. Who really knows what swims beneath the surface?

On 7/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, sandflea5 said:

. Who really knows what swims beneath the surface?

Only,

If the sea can talk.

Any of the southshore ocean beaches are your best bet. I lived and fished the north fork for over 40 years.

There are big sharks cruising the South Shore Beaches right now...this heat wave we are having will bring them in even closer...Maybe even some other cool species might show themselves

Wire for Fire has a video showing him releasing a shark, crashing waves on top of him... ballz of steel.

Sent a very powerful message about wanting to fish for sharks.

I hope to god you have the ballz and know how to do that properly, or risk hurting yourself or the shark.

On 7/22/2019 at 4:17 PM, baldadonis2002 said:

Wire for Fire has a video showing him releasing a shark, crashing waves on top of him... ballz of steel.

Sent a very powerful message about wanting to fish for sharks.

I hope to god you have the ballz and know how to do that properly, or risk hurting yourself or the shark.

Lol thanks ... exactly why I posted .. even though was hesitant...but you catch em , you responsible to make safest ,quickest release possible .. but it’s not easy always  , and don’t recommend going solo .. 2 guys way safer .. and please don’t be an idiot and start fishing on crowded beach full of families swimming .. it’s no good for anyone .. anyways been sucky year water just don’t want to get warm .. such is life 

6 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Never figured it was the warm water drawing them in...

Sand tigers much more tolerant of cold water , and they here to pup so they coming by no matter what , Browns you wont see on the beaches in numbers unless the water warms up enough , otherwise they just stay off shore in the blue water 

It's been a strange shark year.  I do quite a bit of shark fishing from a boat, and the cool-water sharks (blues, makos) haven't been as abundant as they normally are, while the water a few miles off the beach warmed up very quickly.  I had low-70s water in late June, when mid-60s is far more normal.  It's now in the low 80s offshore, with sandbars and even some tigers out there.  Not sure what the temperature is in the surf, but I'm getting mid-80s in the bay.  North wind will push warm surface water offshore, and allow cooler water to well up near the beach.  Typically, when that happens, the coolest water occurs within a couple miles from shore.