Can Pushups Make Biden's Stalling Campaign Seem Strong?

Rate this topic

flyangler

Driving back to Paris, three hour drive and my wife behind the wheel, so I have time to begin threads today. 

What do we make about this other than it being an obvious obvious response from someone who knows the voters are worried about his age?

Brzezinski asked what Biden would do if Trump "starts making fun of your age, your mental state, starts going after you ..."

"I'd say, 'Come on, Donald,'" Biden said. "'Come on, man. How many pushups you want to do here, pal? I mean, jokingly. Run with me, man.'"

At the Washington Examiner:

Byron York: Pushups won't make Biden campaign strong

Can a candidate who is leading the field by 12 points be weak? That’s the question of Joe Biden’s run for the Democratic presidential nomination.

The fact is, Biden’s campaign is showing signs of weakness. So is the candidate himself. And doing pushups, as Biden suggested he might do to show up President Trump, won’t make him any stronger.

In mid-May, Biden led the sprawling Democratic field by 26 points in the RealClearPolitics average of national polls. By late May, the lead was 17 points. By late June, it was 15 points. Today, it is 12.

So Biden’s lead is still big, but it’s less than half what it was not that long ago.

What might be more concerning to Biden supporters are the signs Biden is not running at full strength, that the 76-year-old former vice president has lost a step.

Some voters became concerned about that at the first Democratic debate on June 27, when rival Sen. Kamala Harris hit Biden with an attack about his opposition to busing to desegregate schools in the 1970s. (Harris began the exchange with a zinger: “I do not believe you are a racist.”) Even though Biden’s old position had been in the news, he seemed unprepared. His response was feeble and disorganized, ending with, “My time is up. I’m sorry.”

Afterward, Biden complained that there was no way to explain a nuanced issue in the 30 seconds required by a televised debate.

In a conversation Tuesday with MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski, Biden admitted he was blindsided by Harris. “I didn’t expect that particular attack,” Biden said, “and that question starting off, ‘I know you’re not a racist.'” He complained again about debate time limits.

And then, Brzezinski asked, “The public is interested in how you’re going to fight Donald Trump. Kamala Harris — if you weren’t ready for her, are you ready to fight this guy who doesn’t play fair?”

“My strategy is just to go out,” Biden responded, “and remember that famous expression my grandpop used to use, when they said to Harry Truman, give ’em hell, Harry, and he said no, I’m just going to tell the truth, they’re going to think it’s hell.”

Biden explained that he expects the campaign to be ugly and that Trump will not run an “honorable” race. “But I’m not backing down at all from him,” Biden said. Yes, he was surprised when Harris “said something so off the wall to me,” but Biden pledged to “take on” the president.

It wasn’t exactly confidence-inspiring. And then, Brzezinski asked what Biden would do if Trump "starts making fun of your age, your mental state, starts going after you ..."

"I'd say, 'Come on, Donald,'" Biden said. "'Come on, man. How many pushups you want to do here, pal? I mean, jokingly. Run with me, man.'"

Edited by tomkaz

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson 

Past performance are good indicators of future performance; Joe's lost POTUS bids in the past, guy trips on his own Richard every time he opens his mouth.  What is it about Dimm's and they're thinking past losers translate into future winners??  Beto, Abrahams, $hillary, Biden; all losers some multiple times and yet here some are running again. - :kook:

"Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." 

4 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

Trump supporters will soon be crying over Biden's Toxic masculinity......

or that Trump's bone spurs prevent him from engaging in any physical activity.

He'd be in a little better shape if he walked the course instead of taking a cart and driving it on the green

22 mins ago, patchyfog said:

No way Trump could do even one. #287.

Nice, no response to the OP so you have to introduce Trump snark.

Don’t worry, we see weakness quite clearly. 

“No nation in history has survived once its borders were destroyed, once its citizenship was rendered no different from mere residence, and once its neighbors with impunity undermined its sovereignty.”

- Victor Davis Hanson