Chipnice

Bonito and

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

recently took a mental health day 

I decided a long death march to an inlet would help me de stress

it was bright and hot and when i arrived to the local lot I was surprised to find it empty

Along the way I spotted schoolie bass roaming tight to the shoreline. Usually I’m unable to actually see them but the combination of a high visibility water day and my new copper lense smith glasses was terrific. This was my first experience sight fishing . I threw clousers  and managed to spook most every fish I saw, I did get a couple follows no hook ups.

it was great

i continued on to the jetty in the high sun with little breeze

i went to the tip and found myself all alone. Within minutes bonito and birds where working working over small spearing at my feet. I rushed and tangled and missed. This was my first real shot at these beautiful tunoids on the fly. Due to almost windless morning they were actually in range of my poor casting and with water being so calm I could comfortably fish from a lower rock without back cast issues.

Anyway Every 15 minutes or so they would pop back up

i decided to cast down current to help get tight to the fly and retrieve slowly and let it hang and swing as long as possible 

eventually I composed myself and managed a take on a chartreuse deceiver as it landed unfortunately too much slack in my line and I dropped it. 

Shortly after I Hooked another on a rain bait imitation it was probably a two pound fish which I stripped in to my feet and dropped while trying to move down the rock to land it.

this was pretty much a perfect session for me despite not having landed a fish 

anyways thanks for reading

any suggestions on fly patterns for these speedsters and retrieve methods are greatly appreciated 

should I be so lucky to get another shot like this one I need to seal the deal

Edited by Chipnice

Bonito are rarely fussy like albies.  They love silversides and any appropriately sized white fly will work well. 

For years I have used a very simple bunny fly and never found reason to change   

Cut a piece of pearl easy body tubing about 1/4" longer than the hook shank. 

Burn a small hole 1/4" from the end and thread the hook through it.

Make a loop of mono and run it through the tube along the hook shank and out the protruding end.

Pass a 3" hunk of rabbit strip and 4 strands of crystal flash through the loop and pull it back through the tube.  Lash both down at the head.   

Stick on some eyes and cover with epoxy. 

Get it in front of them and they will eat it.

1 hour ago, numbskull said:

Bonito are rarely fussy like albies.  They love silversides and any appropriately sized white fly will work well. 

For years I have used a very simple bunny fly and never found reason to change   

Cut a piece of pearl easy body tubing about 1/4" longer than the hook shank. 

Burn a small hole 1/4" from the end and thread the hook through it.

Make a loop of mono and run it through the tube along the hook shank and out the protruding end.

Pass a 3" hunk of rabbit strip and 4 strands of crystal flash through the loop and pull it back through the tube.  Lash both down at the head.   

Stick on some eyes and cover with epoxy. 

Get it in front of them and they will eat it.

Awesome thanks

Sounds like a lot of my days in Florida. Being on the water and throwing flies is pretty enjoyable in and of itself. Catching is just a bonus.