cheech

Do bunker play with kayak fisherman?

24 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, cheech said:

I ‘donate’ 60+ hrs per season on my bunker buddies because sometimes it’s the only midday action around. They must see or hear well, they often splash and scatter before the snag even hits the water. I agree they are sometimes impossible to snag when in small schools, although at times it’s peanuts and the snag is too large. With LI Sounds huge schools they are indeed often useless, chunked or live lined. But when huge bluefish are crushing them there is no thrill like a 36” gorilla with two 8/0 hooks in its gullet. Plenty of cocktails around now,  but so far this season the big Yellow Eyed Devils have been no show.

Cheech I spent an entire season only chasing bunker from top to thirty foot depths. You mentioned scatter, they do when skittish. If a seagull fly's by they freak out. Try a 10/0 unweighted, weighs close to an once and for whatever reason they don't see it coming and don't scatter when it touches down.

Yall know em dog days of summer are officially here when we get 2-page spread on humble bunkah.

I let em be. Stopped carrying weighted treble altogether. Just the thought of those monster hooks rippin through poor fish's flesh. 99%  of time for nothing as there are no predators around (and it goes to 101% when water temps push 80F)

2 hours ago, r111 said:

Yall know em dog days of summer are officially here when we get 2-page spread on humble bunkah.

I let em be. Stopped carrying weighted treble altogether. Just the thought of those monster hooks rippin through poor fish's flesh. 99%  of time for nothing as there are no predators around (and it goes to 101% when water temps push 80F)

I don’t believe in the Dog Days of Summer.

This is the best time for me to catch bigger fish. Stock is down but what’s around  still have similar patterns. Get on and learn theirs. Don’t go by yours.

I think nothing of snagging a few (bunker), cramming them in a tube and dragging them a couple miles to where the predators will be. If you want to sit on a pod and wait, then those Dog Days will probably stay a reality. 

On 7/17/2019 at 7:47 AM, cheech said:

I spend about an hour per trip seeking/LL or chunking with Atlantic Menhaden, but at times I feel they are playing with me. I do realize it’s just bunker being bunker,....but. How come they pop up all around you the second you remove the snag and quit chasing them. How come when you motor towards a huge school in the distance they completely disappear before your even in casting distance?  When you give up on a school and move on why do they instantly start splashing directly behind you. How does that bunker you thought was swimming hundreds of feet off your starboard sneak back under you and wrap the rudder or another line. I know they are not evil but...

I agree. Especially in the summer.  Now that I think about it, it seems like when the bunker are easy to snag I almost always catch fish,. Which leads me to believe that they can see and/or sense very well , so when no predators around they are relaxed and very aware of their surroundings and spook easily. When the predators are on the hunt,  their only focus is to avoid being eaten , So they are not paying attention to treble hooks, boats or kayaks.   Maybe ??

Cheech, I found plenty of easy to snag bunker in the Sound, just nothing bothering them. Saw pods all over. I did lose a couple of porgy jigs to cut leaders, so there must have been blues of some kind around.

Yes, they were all over the place on Monday, ‘walk on em’ schools everywhere. I LL and chunked the bottom under the schools that didn’t bother to move when I coasted in. I even jigged and trolled a mojo under them in 30-40’ of water, nothing on them.

Lemme ask you this, do you mark porgies around there or are they too hard to pick up? There were a few times I thought I was marking them, and other times I caught fish with nothing on the screen.

You guys need to keep all those bunker down there. We had enough up here.  Really. 

Makes tossing rubber much much harder...lol

17 hours ago, gellfex said:

Lemme ask you this, do you mark porgies around there or are they too hard to pick up? There were a few times I thought I was marking them, and other times I caught fish with nothing on the screen.

I don’t have any electronics.