Billybob

Yellowfin, how to cook?

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's tuna.  Do what you do with tuna. Raw/seared etc. 

In a couple days when you are sick of raw tuna, do this...or some other variation of agrodolce:  https://www.ciaoitalia.com/seasons/20/2013/sweet-and-sour-tuna 

Can the rest of the loins (and scraps from trimming...not the blood lines tho) for the best tuna salad you ever made. Or just steam it through and dress with olive oil/mayo/ etc.

Edited by Tom T

Fresh, high-quality tuna makes incredible homemade tuna fish. The good: it is delicious. The bad: you will never look at a can of tuna the same way again.

Bake it till the internal temperature is 189, and then slather it with ketchup. 

That's what we did with everything my mom cooked. She did to food what the Japanese did to the Philippines. :th:

2 mins ago, Belmo said:

Fresh, high-quality tuna makes incredible homemade tuna fish. The good: it is delicious. The bad: you will never look at a can of tuna the same way again.

Spend the money on the quality stuff in jars at the eyetie or hipster stores.  It's well worth it.

27 mins ago, Belmo said:

Bake it till the internal temperature is 189, and then slather it with ketchup. 

That's what we did with everything my mom cooked. She did to food what the Japanese did to the Philippines. :th:

Oh snap, that was funny!!!

Plank the Tuna on a Cedar slab.

Cook in the oven until flaky and firm.

Remove fish from the oven, and take it off the board.

Throw the fish away, and eat the board.

so enough of the stoopid

couple ways I like it:

Blackened.  Take a steak, paint melted butter on it and cover it liberally with Paul Prudhomme's blackened redfish seasoning....or one of his other ones.  Take a cast iron skillet (best done outside on grill burner...going to smoke A LOT), get it as hot as you can.  Drop steaks on for 30 sec/side.  Eat

I'm digging this as of late too:  cut loins int rectangular bricks, say 2x2 by whatever.  Flour them.  Put them in the freezer for 40 minutes.  Egg wash with panko crumbs, twice.  Fry till golden.  Inside should still be cool and raw.  Bust out the wasabi, ginger, and soy.  I did about 20# this way with a bunch of people over last year, they went nuts and my teak table was all stained as they fought over it and spilled soy

Not flanks but for steaks I marinated them in some soy sauce, splash of oil, salt and pepper.  Grill them directly on the grate to your prefence of doneness.  Once cooked I'd roll them in sesame seeds that were lightly toasted in butter.  I as well prefer it cooked mostly through.