DangerDanjo08

Shimano Rod Needed For Shimano Reel Light Fluke

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi,

I've recently posted a topic related to this but I honestly feel this title is more appropriate and will hopefully get more responses honed in to what I'm looking for.

I have a 3000 series Shimano reel (Shimano 2016 Stradic CI4+ Spinning Reels STCI43000HGFB). I'm looking for the PERFECTish pairing for lightweight fluking; shore and back bays. I'd like to throw bucktails up to 3/4oz. So very lightweight and want sensitivity.

Please, if you don't have experience w/ Shimano or Daiwa(I would consider these) rods I'd appreciate it if you don't comment. I'm looking for recommendations of models, length, weight, action, etc. Thanks in advance. 

Edited by TimS
commercial link removed

8 hours ago, DangerDanjo08 said:

I'd like to throw bucktails up to 3/4oz. So very lightweight and want sensitivity.

The Expride 7'2MH is excellent and perfect for your application. 

The Teramars are awesome rods. I own a Talavera TESIS70MHB, or a 7' Talavera MH action. It'll handle an ounce no problem, so you could go down to the medium action if you're looking at 3/4oz max. It was $99.

I'd buy the Teramar personally. TMS70M. Cork handles on that model. Stickers for about $120. It has better graphite than the Talavera. The guides are the same (Fuji Alconite).

I own a few Trevalas and the TVS70L (10-30 lb braid) is my favorite fluke rod. I have the 4000 stradic mounted on one and use 10lb Sufix 832 and can handle most anything i've encountered in the NY Bight. Even subdued a 25lb Cow Nose Ray and the extra butt length was a real asset. Maybe a bit heavier than you would like, but so far it has been bullet proof, and I'm very rough on my tackle.

12 hours ago, buddha162 said:

The Expride 7'2MH is excellent and perfect for your application. 

Buddha,what does that rod weigh?

Actual weight,not what it is rated for.

thanks in advance....

Shimano Zodias, I have 2 and love them. Also have a SE teramar but don't like it for fluke, strong as hell and bulletproof but too heavy (weight) and mushy (action) for light fluking.

25 mins ago, olvart said:

Buddha,what does that rod weigh?

Actual weight,not what it is rated for.

thanks in advance....

The Expride 72mh spinner...3.78oz on my scale. 

1 hour ago, crazybellringer said:

the trevala s jigging   is a sweet party boat rod.  

100% if he's strictly looking for a boat rod. I really like the ML Trevala S for a do-all fluke jigger from boat. 

10 mins ago, nateD said:

Shimano Zodias, I have 2 and love them. Also have a SE teramar but don't like it for fluke, strong as hell and bulletproof but too heavy (weight) and mushy (action) for light fluking.

There's a new (I think) Zodias 7'3 MH spinner that might do the trick for OP. I agree re Teramar...way too soft for proper fluke jigging, and it's heavy. 

Thanks for the replies so far, it gives me a lot to think about. Please disregard boat rods entirely. For this setup I'm strictly looking for a rod I'll use while wading or casting from land or beach.

2 hours ago, buddha162 said:

The Expride 72mh spinner...3.78oz on my scale. 

100% if he's strictly looking for a boat rod. I really like the ML Trevala S for a do-all fluke jigger from boat. 

If I buy another rod for fluke, that’s at the top of my list

Posted (edited) · Report post

I love FX rods; have several of them. Great rods and budget friendly

FXS70MB2 may work for back bays and/or shores.

Mine 70MB2 and 70MHB2 are paired with IX2000; 80MH2 and 90MHB2 are paired with IX4000

They are all fast action, either medium (M) or medium heavy (MH) two section, with EVA grips

Edited by Popasilov