The Riddler

Pogies

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

Hmm, in my experience they're not packed that tight unless they're under attack on the perimeter. That school had VERY defined edges. When there's no predators they're loose over a wide area, often too spread out to snag.

6 hours ago, gellfex said:

Hmm, in my experience they're not packed that tight unless they're under attack on the perimeter. That school had VERY defined edges. When there's no predators they're loose over a wide area, often too spread out to snag.

Maybe there was some secret unseen bass on the edges with green camouflage the drone high above in the sky failed to see.

32 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Maybe there was some secret unseen bass on the edges with green camouflage the drone high above in the sky failed to see.

Don't know, maybe they were deep? Just saying, untargeted they spread out more than that, being so tight is unhealthy for them they wouldn't do it naturally. Once the bass and blues have moved on in the spring the bunker here are WAY more relaxed than that.

38 mins ago, gellfex said:

Don't know, maybe they were deep? Just saying, untargeted they spread out more than that, being so tight is unhealthy for them they wouldn't do it naturally. Once the bass and blues have moved on in the spring the bunker here are WAY more relaxed than that.

Yeah, the pogies are different up here then your Jersey or maybe there must be some intellectual level you have to be on to have an understanding of it even though you watch a full video of it happening. You never know. 

18 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Yeah, the pogies are different up here then your Jersey or maybe there must be some intellectual level you have to be on to have an understanding of it even though you watch a full video of it happening. You never know. 

Since you apparently have a greater simpatico with the mind of a footlong filter feeder, why don't you speculate why they would be so tightly bunched if not for predators? I'm here to learn.

2 mins ago, gellfex said:

Since you apparently have a greater simpatico with the mind of a footlong filter feeder, why don't you speculate why they would be so tightly bunched if not for predators? I'm here to learn.

How much is there to learn when the video shows the lesson?

:deadhorse:

4 mins ago, The Riddler said:

How much is there to learn when the video shows the lesson?

:deadhorse:

The video shows tightly bunched bunker, not why. You say if we can't see the predators they're not there. I'm saying then why are they so tightly bunched? That is not normal for unharrassed bunker in my experience. If it is in yours, just say so. 

It has been my experience that pogies are always bunched up.   When they are threatened by a predator, they move quickly to escape, sometimes they erupt on the surface in an attempt to flee.  They are definitely bunched tighter when under attack.  

11 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Awesome video - totally explains what I have been seeing as well. Tons of pogies...very little bass. See a pogey school and snag one and then liveline and nothing...its because there are 1,000,000 pogies and 5 bass feeding. Odds arent good.

Try making your pogie stand out in the crowd - higher or lower in the water column than the school or 20 yards away from the school.  

2 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

It has been my experience that pogies are always bunched up.   When they are threatened by a predator, they move quickly to escape, sometimes they erupt on the surface in an attempt to flee.  They are definitely bunched tighter when under attack.  

Could be you always have predators like bass around up there, they're transient here. I have been in huge schools of them flopping happily, nowhere near bunched that tight, with the edge of the school tapering off rather than having a razor sharp edge like that. No predators. Come fall and the return of gator blues, it's a different story, tight schools with the water boiling, not the happy bunker flip flop dance.

Advanced issues found

5 mins ago, gellfex said:

[...] with the edge of the school tapering off rather than having a razor sharp edge like that. No predators. 

I agree with that statement in theory, but I don't typically get an eagle eye view of the school. 

Most people around here fish a pogie school in hope that there are predators underneath, but typically that's not the case.  A happy pogie school could have stripers beneath or on a far side of the school.  Without a school showing specific signs of distress (fast movement, boiling surface, observing splits in the school) they are always tight.  I do agree with you that they can get tighter under predation, but I have also seen schools being hunted by many big fish that didn't show the obvious signs of stress.  

In Salem Ma their are pogies everywhere but they're spread out and relaxed as the poster describes.  A tail flip here, a roving pod of 5 their.  I've seen a couple schools balled up this week but they were well out of reach of a shore guy like me.  Fishing at night last year I was shining a light on them from a wharf.  Moving in ones and twos without a care in the world. I've snagged them, chunked them, live lined them, no hits.  It seems when their is zero threat they relax.  Says something about the bass population in Salem the last few years.

I have found that when out in the early morning, the schools are tight.  As the day goes on the boat going through them, make then split in smaller groups and they go down.  When they come back up on top, their tight again.  

Years ago they were all over the place.  in the mornings when fishing the west End of Buzzards Bay the schools would be at the mouth of the Wareham River near the castle ( Stones Estate ) Great hill point.

As the morning would go on they would move up to Bird Island.

We would start at G.H.Point and if we didn't see any big splashes, that meant the school was not active and we would move on to the next school of pogies.  When you foundnd the active school you could tell. It was like someone was throwing truck tires into the water.

That is why I say, that all tight schools of Pogies don't have feeling Bass in them. 

today with depth finders it is much easier to tell. If you see a big red ball of bait on the screen, you know theres bait there. and if the stripers are there , then you see the big curves. in or under them?  easy?