Wire For Fire

Options for cleaning up green pressure treated porch..

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

So bought a house and the porch is on the green side .. woods still plenty solid and want to clean it and finish it to extend the life a few more years and would really make the front pop ..

so what’s my options .. I got alil ryobi electric power washer I borrowed , did a nice job on the pavers but haven’t tried on deck yet .. 

my plan was to gently power wash , let dry and stain it ..  or am I dreaming and it gonna be more involved.. 

any cleaning products you guys use ? And what’s the best option for finishing .. i really don’t want to paint it .. 

I have two p t decks they are not covered so after a few rainy days I pressure wash it with a high pressure gas unit . I do handrails and spindles first . When you p wash the planks/boards do them one at a time and work your way across . Depending on the tip you may have to make more than one pass on each board , till you get the full width done . I start at one end and spray and walk down the board without starting and stopping . If you start and stop you will see steaks . I would let it dry really well before staining , sealing 

We had a lot of decking at my house growing up. We would power wash them every few years and again them. Never had an issue doing it that way. We used a bleach and water solution once but had issues with the stain I believe. Gotta agree with gb, power wash and allow time to dry out completely before staining. If you can avoid chems, it's in your best interest imo. 

If I had to do it over again I would never stain my deck. Don’t get me wrong looks great after but a pain to remove and restain in the years to come. I would look into a water sealer that keeps it as natural as possible. That’s just my opinion. Good luck 

As far as? Staining is relatively easy to do. There's a lot of products out there for decks. It depends on what you want to do. The only thing I will say is that anyone who used that hard coating crap from Behr or Rust-Oleum said it sucked. Started flaking within a year. 

I like Cabot for stain. Always had good results with the trim and woodwork projects I have done. Haven't stained a deck in many years, so I can't say what's best for that but I'm sure Cabot makes a good deck stain. You can also use a combo stain/sealer. There's probably two part processes too. 

If the deck boards are hardwood or exotic, you typically finish with an oil. No stain. 

If you use one of those deck and siding soaps , apply it without the pressure, let it soak in and work for about 10 min. then continue to power wash. depending on the size I usually spray 1/4-1/2 the deck as to not to waste to much time.

I would try just the pressure washer first. Use the turbo nozzle on the ryobi.

I've cleaned lots of old shadowboxed wooden fence with it and it came out looking new.

The box stores sell a disc attachment for powerwashers, which is about 15 in diameter.  It attaches to your wand and has a rotating arm on the underside with two heads.  It covers/cleans between 2-3 boards at once.  Takes all of the guess work out of choosing a nozzle and maintaining the same distance from the deck.  Put soap/chlorox solution on deck then use the disc.  Mine does a real nice job and cuts the time of washing your deck by at least half.  Spindles and posts are a different bear.

17 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Any advice on staining and finishing 

Let the deck completely dry and use an oil based stain on the PT wood

I have the same setup, and I have been doing a quick power wash every 2 years, followed by a coat of Olympic Maximum clear Sealant ( after the deck completely dries ) .  I think Consumer Reports had rated this product the best deck sealer.  The can says it is rated for 3 years protection, but in the real world 2 is more like it.

Be real careful on the power wash so as not to gouge the wood.  I believe the "green " PT deck wood is all pine .  

The clear sealer is actually not clear, as it is more a weird orangy/yellow color out of the can .  It dries to a cedar looking color, however, which I kinda like on my deck.

The deck is going on 19 years old now, and still has plenty of life left.

Thanks gentlemen lots of great advice here .. would rather not use bleach cause of all the flowers huge elephant ears around it.. maybe some dishwashing soap and scrub and then power wash and some sealant