Chipnice

Stripping basket

11 posts in this topic

Slipped on the jetty thismorning and broke my stripping basket.  Looking for suggestions for a replacement. Anything new and noteworthy out there?

Linekurv.  But get the new one that is made from unbreakable material - also - get the upgraded elastic belt.  You will probably have to buy direct from Denmark - local stores don't carry the new belt - but not a problem at all.  Just about the same price.

I wouldn't buy from store that may have old stock basket that may break like your old one did

Herb

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, HL said:

Linekurv.  But get the new one that is made from unbreakable material - also - get the upgraded elastic belt.  You will probably have to buy direct from Denmark - local stores don't carry the new belt - but not a problem at all.  Just about the same price.

I wouldn't buy from store that may have old stock basket that may break like your old one did

Herb

Thanks not bad $60 shipped  ordered it with elastic. 

Edited by Chipnice

Not sure if there is O.K. But, there is a stripping basket on Amazon that is almost exactly the same as a linekurv basket. I use it and it works great for me. I havent fallen on it so I'm not sure how unbreakable it is. But its pretty low cost. 

FWIW I’ve had some problems with certain plastics creating nasty scuff marks on the boat 

not sure how or why but a heck of a time removing it

the plastic used in the Orvis baskets leaves no marks. 

I use the linekurv and it works great.  Love the shape; lets the line shoot out easily.  It doesn't seem like it would crack if you fell on it.   I just checked the Bucket Works site and see the they are currently sold out of their bucket shooters.  I have one of these as well, and it's top quality.  It won't break if you fall, and it floats.  The Bucket Shooter can be worn low and on the hip as well.  This will allow for an easier one-handed strip than an Orvis or Linekurv style basket allows.  If you are interested in a bucket shooter, I would reach out to them and find out when they will be available again.  

https://www.thebucketworks.us

Posted (edited)

I fish in the surf and don't worry about keeping water out, but need the basket to drain, so I drill 1/4" holes in my orvis basket.  just checked the price on an orvis basket and although I like it, it seems overpriced.

Edited by srm413

Posted (edited)

On the boat, you may consider this. Keep a wet towel in it. Weighs it down, keeps the line wet and you can stand the rod in it when running. 8 bucks at the Swedish place.

86331A79-8743-4FF2-8AD5-35FB91B52B8B.jpeg

bent rod b.jpg

Edited by DaveCap
ADD PIC

Posted (edited)

14 hours ago, srm413 said:

I fish in the surf and don't worry about keeping water out, but need the basket to drain, so I drill 1/4" holes in my orvis basket.  just checked the price on an orvis basket and although I like it, it seems overpriced.

You can drill bigger holes and use automotive  flat grommet type rubber plugs for times you may not want them.

Edited by DaveCap