AbbyDaddy

Kastking Kapstan - $100 reel comparable to Lexa?

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

All, 

Looking for a party boat setup and I figured I'd start with a reel. I have plenty of spinning gear, but my time on this forum has lead me in search of a baitcaster for fluke/blackfish from party boats. 

I was thinking about getting the Lexa 300 and spooling it with 20lb braid and get couple rods one for fluke and one for blackfish and call it a day. But this reel caught my eye and on a youtube video that went in depth about it breaking down components. Seems like I can pick this up for a $100 on ebay and Lexa is back up to $170 (from $137-140) so having a little difficult time closing the $ gap. 

Any thoughts from the group?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, AbbyDaddy said:

All, 

Looking for a party boat setup and I figured I'd start with a reel. I have plenty of spinning gear, but my time on this forum has lead me in search of a baitcaster for fluke/blackfish from party boats. 

I was thinking about getting the Lexa 300 and spooling it with 20lb braid and get couple rods one for fluke and one for blackfish and call it a day. But this reel caught my eye and on a youtube video that went in depth about it breaking down components. Seems like I can pick this up for a $100 on ebay and Lexa is back up to $170 (from $137-140) so having a little difficult time closing the $ gap. 

The lexa is tried and true. Its been one of Diawa's most popular reels for a very long time and for good reason. Out of the 2 that you mentioned, I would go with the Lexa all day.. If you are looking to save a little money then I would look at the Quantum ACCURIST® S3 PT. You can pick one up for around 100 bucks and it will blow that kast king out the water. Or you can find a lightly used lexa 300 in BST for around the same money. 

Edited by CrashHard23

The last and only Kast King I bought I sent back.  What garbage.  Now if you want something that you can cast with and Fluke from a boat take a look at Tronixpro Envoy $50 and well worth the money.  It casts a mile and has plenty of guts for Fluke fishing 

Advanced issues found

2 hours ago, CrashHard23 said:

The lexa is tried and true. Its been one of Diawa's most popular reels for a very long time and for good reason. Out of the 2 that you mentioned, I would go with the Lexa all day.. If you are looking to save a little money then I would look at the Quantum ACCURIST® S3 PT. You can pick one up for around 100 bucks and it will blow that kast king out the water. Or you can find a lightly used lexa 300 in BST for around the same money. 

Thanks! Is the Accurist good to go with a 6-8oz sinker for blackfish w/ a mh/h rod? 

3 hours ago, AbbyDaddy said:

All, 

I've never purchased or fished a Kastking, but I've spooled several of them up working in a tackle shop. I'd compare their quality and feel to the worst garbage sold at a big box store, and personally wouldn't spend my money there. If you're looking at a $100 baitcaster for saltwater use, the Quantum Accurist as previously mentioned is a great choice, as is a Daiwa Fuego CT in a 6.3:1 ratio. Shimano makes an aluminum round baitcaster, the Corvalus, for about $99 as well. 

Everyone has a budget, and I'm not wealthy like most folks. But you get what you pay for, and I'd opt to spend more to get quality, worry free tackle that's tried and true. I'd buy the Lexa personally speaking. They're nice reels.