4Runner AC vent balance

Darth Baiter

2010 SR5 with non-digital dash, meaning I can't control passenger side and drivers side temps separately.  Yet the passenger side AC is definitely colder than the drivers side.  :mad:  Assuming all 4Runner vents are set up for digital controls, that's the only explanation as to why the center vent blows warm on the left and cold on the right, any idea what baffle/door is stuck open on one side and not the other?  I can live with it but I'd like it fixed if simple.  Not going to the stealership.    

"Endeavor to persevere" Lone Watie

Doing a check on the freon load is simple and easy. Any descent garage can check it. Be thankful the compressor still works.  Tacoma is a great truck,but the AC stinks in them.  My son has a 6yr old truck low mileage and the compressor did a dump.  It was a $600-700 rebuild.

19 hours ago, silverstriper said:

This symptom is common when the a/c freon charge is low.

That seems to be the issue based on input here and on the 4Runner Forums.  Needed to add refrigerant and dye in 2017.  Will check for leaks/add refrigerant next week at the local garage.

Bospa,

Thanks for the informative video.

Edited by Darth Baiter

My gx has a sight glass on the liquid line , so your SR5 may have one too. With the AC running take a look to see if the liquid is flashing or there are bubbles in sight glass. If there are bubbles present then your system is low on refrigerant. $6 can of 134a will fix that. 

On 7/18/2019 at 5:45 PM, connman said:

My gx has a sight glass on the liquid line , so your SR5 may have one too. With the AC running take a look to see if the liquid is flashing or there are bubbles in sight glass. If there are bubbles present then your system is low on refrigerant. $6 can of 134a will fix that. 

This ^^ I've done it on my 2000 4runner, and an old Subaru I had, too. You can find videos on youtube showing how it's done and what to look for. 

You know it must be a penguin bound down if you hear that terrible screaming and there ain't no other birds around. 

Update - as speculated - low on refrigerant.  Blowing cold from all vents, now I know what to look for before it gets as bad as it was.  Haven't located the leak yet, more dye added, will leak check again next week.

Highest probability it's from compressor seals as they dry out especially over winter when AC is not run much. Other likely spots would be suction low pressure service port and discharge high side pressure port. Depending on the leak rate it may be nothing to worry about,  just charge it with a few oz of 134a as needed. My 1999.5 Pathfinder uses about 12oz every other year, usually if it isnt driven much over winter and seals dry out  it loses  some charge.