Big_D

Where to take kids crabbing?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Hi I am looking for a good place to take my kids (5 & 10 yrs old) crabbing. Ideally somewhere they can crab and fish. We are in the Belmar area.  Thanks for the help!

posting specific spots are forbidden on this site. You dont have enough posts for a pm either. Heres a good tip...google "bait and tackle near belmar" Theres a popular one there by the marina. Visit those guys buy a few $ worth of merch and ask. Im sure they will be happy to assist.

Sorry didn’t realize that kids crabbing would fall into that category about posting specific spots.. my bad.. thanks for the advice. I know those tackle shop and stopped in today, not much help. But took the kids fishing out front and caught a few sharks which was plenty of excitement for them. 

Greetings. Any of the publicly accessible spots in Shark River will yield some crabs. Strong current is tougher to crab...but some current is important :) I’m surprised the folks at the Fisherman’s Den weren’t able to point you in the right direction. There’s not as much public access as their once was but it’s out there. Never looked for it but there’s probably a map of public access spots somewhere :)

TimS

Thanks TimS, they basically said it wasn’t a great place to crab. Love that shop though they are my go to spot every time we are here and they are very helpful. Just picked up a new Avet SX reel from them on Saturday :) Thanks again for the response. Long time reader/stalker of this forum and certainly have learned a lot, just don’t normally have much to post from GA. 

If ur willing to go 1/2 hr south Berkeley Island Park is a public park and crabbing  is allowed

22 hours ago, Big_D said:

Hi I am looking for a good place to take my kids (5 & 10 yrs old) crabbing. Ideally somewhere they can crab and fish. We are in the Belmar area.  Thanks for the help!

Google maps can be your best friend for this. Many public parks along NJ's bays and the Intercoastal allow crabbing, and many have facilities perfect for young children. 

23 hours ago, Big_D said:

Do you have a military ID?  There are some military reservations in the area that are good.

On 7/16/2019 at 9:56 AM, Big_D said:

Go fluking with gulp south of the canal in Barnegat bay you'll catch plenty of crabs and small fluke 

3 hours ago, wasy said:

If ur willing to go 1/2 hr south Berkeley Island Park is a public park and crabbing  is allowed

Guess ya didn't hear, Alan, that they re-named the park after Freeholder John Bartlett who built it, last Oct. 31st  shortly before he retired. He passed away not long after.

2 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Guess ya didn't hear, Alan, that they re-named the park after Freeholder John Bartlett who built it, last Oct. 31st  shortly before he retired. He passed away not long after.

I didn't know that John, glad they renamed it for the guy who made it happen.

It's a real nice park for anyone especially if you have kids or grandkids!

If you really want to make a day out of it, rent a skiff either out of barnegat bay, or shark River, probably catch way more keepers and the kids will have a blast.

4 hours ago, BillHoo said:

Do you have a military ID?  There are some military reservations in the area that are good.

Thanks unfortunately no military ID but looks like some good options