Tin Boat

sabotaged fly line

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Last night I left an older Orvis clear intermediate 9 wt fly line stretched out about 4 feet above the ground,  anchored at one end to a tree and the other end to the rod and reel on my car roof-top rack. This morning the line was on the ground cleanly cut in 3 pieces pieces. My first thought was that a deer had run into the line and broken it, but that didn't make sense because the reel drag would have released some line. Next thought was that a deer had bitten through the line. (My house is in the woods surrounded by deer.) That, too, seems unlikely. Anyone have an idea? The cuts were clean, like they were made with a knife.   

I have had an Oriis line break cleanly when stretching prior to fishing. But you probably didn't have that much tension on the line.  Also - it would't have broken in 2 places.

Other than human intervention - I have no idea.

Herb

Only thought I have regarding animals is the line may have tasted salty.  Deer's teeth generally mash rather than cut.   That's why  they do so much damage to plantings-  branch ends are crushed, rather than looking as if they were  cut with shears.  However, something like a line may appear to be cut clean unless examined really closely.   My clear O lines are fishable, but endlessly retain  their coils.  Might want to put out some apples to reward them animals- they were just doing you a favor.  JK.   

Seems to me that for a small animal to have done this, the first cut would have to have been made at the tree or at the car. Otherwise, as the line was 4 feet off the ground.... 

Poirot, the fly line detective

If it were lower I would say rabbits the darn things have been biting the clematis vines off clean lately mostly the new young ones testing whats food.

6 hours ago, bloosfisher said:

Only thought I have regarding animals is the line may have tasted salty.  Deer's teeth generally mash rather than cut.   That's why  they do so much damage to plantings-  branch ends are crushed, rather than looking as if they were  cut with shears.  However, something like a line may appear to be cut clean unless examined really closely.   My clear O lines are fishable, but endlessly retain  their coils.  Might want to put out some apples to reward them animals- they were just doing you a favor.  JK.   

I think JK is right. I have examined the line with a magnifying glass, and there are indeed several mash marks that did not cut through the line. I had fished the line before stretching it; so there was certainly salt on it. Deer habitually visit my property and must have thought this was a salt lick treat for them. Glad it wasn't a brand new line!

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 7/16/2019 at 2:57 PM, Tin Boat said:

I think JK is right. I have examined the line with a magnifying glass, and there are indeed several mash marks that did not cut through the line. I had fished the line before stretching it; so there was certainly salt on it. Deer habitually visit my property and must have thought this was a salt lick treat for them. Glad it wasn't a brand new line!

I used JK to mean, just kidding, not my initials.   At least I thought that was common use, but  I know more about deer than I do texting abbreviations.  I didn't  want to insult your line and wanted to make sure you knew I was joking.  Glad you found out and can avoid future cuts. I like my new Orvis Hydros Int., I'd be ripping if the deer got mine, I already gave up any attempts at a garden. I'll share this story with my wife and some friends- they'll relate and get a kick out of it. 

Edited by bloosfisher

The message is that deer will eat fly lines that have salt on them. And, who knows, perhaps unsalted ones...

I won't leave a fly line stretched at night again, although if I owned a deercam I'd sacrifice another old line for the sake of interesting footage.

3 hours ago, Mike Oliver said:

FWIW

Sheep will chew a fly line. Put your rod down in a field full of them and your line may get trashed if you leave it unattended.

mikey

I wanna fish near a field full of sheep.