CTS VT 1-3oz 9’6” build.. need some help with guides suggestion

Rate this topic

hooked408

Hey SOL rod builders, so my rod is up next to be built. But he mainly specialize in salt rods for tuna/yellows/etc.

So I’m trying to do my homework and give him as much details/info on the specs to build my rod.

I ordered the cts vt 1-3oz 10’. I’m going to chop the bottom off to 9’6”. The rod will be paired up with my van staal vr50 (running 30lb 832 braid) This rod will mainly be use for metals, sp, bucktails 1-2oz.

So far I’ve decided on a simple rubber butt. From the butt to the bottom of the reel seat 19” cork with x grip over it. Prolly going to go with Fuji egornomic dpsd reel seat. Or nps (will it fit my vr 50?) And from top of the reel seat spiral cork fore grip 8” with x wrap. And the design.

Thats all I got so far. 

So what guides do you guys recommend to go with to maximize the performance on this rod? How many guides? 

Edited by hooked408

You sent me a pm, I will answer it here the best that I can.

Guides, my 10', 1-3 has 8. KW30-25 then 20-12-8(x4)-tip. The 20 down are single foots. Spacing, that's going to be driven by your reel and placement of the reel on the rod. Mine, I have a vs150 on it. I'm not sure but the first guide is ~28-30 from the reel stem. The reel is about 21-22" from the butt. 

I do not use reels seats on my surf stuff.

Guides - you could use RV, KL, KW, etc. That depends on your budget, etc. If I was doing mine over I would go KL or RV instead of the KW.

Your builder should be able to guide you thru all of this, that's what he is there for. If you're asking here so you can learn more - great. If you're asking here to get additional info for the builder - not so great.

ASMFC - Destroying public resources and fisheries one stock at a time since 1942.

8 mins ago, Drew C. said:

You sent me a pm, I will answer it here the best that I can.

Guides, my 10', 1-3 has 8. KW30-25 then 20-12-8(x4)-tip. The 20 down are single foots. Spacing, that's going to be driven by your reel and placement of the reel on the rod. Mine, I have a vs150 on it. I'm not sure but the first guide is ~28-30 from the reel stem. The reel is about 21-22" from the butt. 

I do not use reels seats on my surf stuff.

Guides - you could use RV, KL, KW, etc. That depends on your budget, etc. If I was doing mine over I would go KL or RV instead of the KW.

Your builder should be able to guide you thru all of this, that's what he is there for. If you're asking here so you can learn more - great. If you're asking here to get additional info for the builder - not so great.

Thanks drew. Are you using conventional reel on your surf rod?

Edited by hooked408