jvisconti

Fish finder sinker slides on braid

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

What do you guys think about using a fish-finder sinker slide on braid? Risky move? I was going to use one on 30lbs braid but I was afraid that a 6oz sinker sliding around might cause some damage. Mono/flouro only for fish finders? 

I use the heavy duty slides meant for braid-been using them for years without any damage to braid or slide.

Braid will slice right through the regular slides

Yep I'll use the heavy fish finder slides on braid. Like ^ said, the regular ones get sawed into. I've used egg sinkers, ran the braid through them and they'll get sawed too. Now I use fish finder rigs that are blue in color. They cost a little more but I don't lose many and... I like being able to change weights when the tide or current changes.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Braid wear shouldn't be an issue if you're cutting back and retying enough.

To me the best fish finder is just a good barrel swivel with a duolock. It helps prevent all the twisting that can occur since its a swivel.

And it cuts down on things to buy/carry for my inner minimalist

Edited by Gooch

2 hours ago, Gooch said:

Braid wear shouldn't be an issue if you're cutting back and retying enough.

To me the best fish finder is just a good barrel swivel with a duolock. It helps prevent all the twisting that can occur since its a swivel.

And it cuts down on things to buy/carry for my inner minimalist

This sounds like a simple solution. I didn't know they had braid-specific sliders either. Thanks for the help guys!

I didn't want to start a thread and sound dumb, but is piggy-backing someone else's thread with my own, separate question even dumber? 

In my extremely limited noob experience, i found the plastic slider got tangled in my braid far more often than an egg sinker right on the line. 

(fwiw, sliding sinker, bead, swivel, 3' flouro leader, then hook). 

I kinda thought it happens during flight since it's less aerodynamic? I wouldn't think the technique underwater is much different. Thoughts? 

I use a shock leader for just about everything bait wise that touches the saltwater. Usually 100# for any rod that chucks bait, FG knot to braid, 10 feet of leader. The braid slide states almost entirely on the leader then. And you can add however light of line off the bottom swivel to the hook. That gives you a ton of soak time protection against sand abrasion, stingrays running into your line, etc. 

I use braid every day, and maybe once or twice a season I see the "cheaper" white slide I get for about $.35 at the tackle shop start to crack.    I eyeball my tackle every few days when I change my knot and never have a problem.  

Been bottom fishing (drifting) the white cheap ones with 20-30 lb power pro and spider-wire for 25 years with little to no issue with cut-through or cutting grooves large enough to make any difference.  Downside as with any terminal tackle and braided line - tangles / fouled lines.