jvisconti

Snappers out already!

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Swung by the boat ramp near my house tonight around sunset for about an hour and caught (and released) a few "fluke bait" sized snappers on spearing I had left over from fluking. Lots of bunker splashing around too. Seems a little early for snapper imo but its good to know that they're out there waiting to get munched by some doormats.

Edited by jvisconti

6 hours ago, Wolfdog said:

5FF092CB-07E6-4809-A273-769D18C6B881.jpeg.5cb1d4981749f70e2a4c38f30fb69c4b.jpeggot one the other day went after a 9/0 and a chunk 

Dan looks like u could hang from a tree branch with those monkey toes lol!

5 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Catching a lot in the back, 10 or so inches. Fun on light tackle.

10 " ???? Thats awfully big for this time of year

28 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I dunno, maybe consider them cocktails? They've been around for a month or so.

Yeah I don’t think those are snappers,,been seeing a lot of odd size fish this year. Even the spring run blues were mixed with a lot of small cocktail size,that’s not what I am accustomed to in May. Normally,they are all above 5 lbs or so.

49 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Fed 6 fresh bunker to these dam things the other night.... 

Yep, fed them half a pack of brand new Keitech tails on sunday, and about 10 gulp minnows. Hate them. 

Have to agree..those are not the "snapper" class by any stretch.

Snappers right now are micro - snappers, what you are showing in that pic are runt cocktail blues mixed in with broader schools.

Had a few mismatch double headers on a deadly dick and teaser combo, kept getting 11 inch cocktails on one hook and 2-3 pounds on the other.

Central NS had blues 12-16 inches 2 weeks ago.  Bronchitis knocked me on my ass, but I was killing it with un-baited diamond jigs.  Match the hatch and you'll have your hands full.  Steady retrieve from bottom or steady retrieve top water did the trick.  They were about 10ft from bottom.

They were hitting a popper with a small spearing in Massapequa but I might try to toss a little jerkbait with inline hooks tonight. A lot of fun on ultralight gear! 

I’m on a yak in the western sound 2-3 days a week and have not caught a single large bluefish. I did get one around 16” a couple weeks ago. Chunking and LLing those hard to find bunker have yielded nada. Small cocktails are hitting my plugs, and they are quite tasty. I have not seen or heard of any true snappers being caught by the pier fisherman where I launch. I remember 3 seasons or so ago, the snappers were completely no show.