Jr

Marathon Florida Guides

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Did some search’s but everything was a little dated. Anyone have a guide recommendation for Marathon. My wife and I are going to spend a week there in mid November. I should be able to squeeze a day or two on the flats. Any help would be appreciated. 

I went with two guides during my honeymoon in February, Sandy Horn and Drew Delashmit. We stayed in key west, but I met the captains in Cudjoe key. Both were awesome. 

Andrew Tipler in Cudjoe Key, Last Cast Charters, put me and my buddy on tarpon, grouper, mangrove snapper, and jack crevalle in March. An awesome trip and he worked hard to get us the tarpon which were our primary target. 2 x 60 pounders, and one smaller one under a bridge I missed the hook set on. Don't know if he does fly fishing or not but worth a check to see if he does. 

The three best flats guides in Marathon are Albert Ponzoa, Rich Keating and Scott Collins but they're usually booked up.  Try Mike Weichert, Carl Wagner or Diego Cordova as well.  These guys are purely flats, fly fishing guides

I hope it's ok to add an additional question to this thread: What's your tipping policy for guides? If the guide is working for an outfitter then I will certainly tip him or her. What if the guide is a sole proprietor and working for themselves? Do you still tip?