Gooch88

Kingfish

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

The sand flea can be seen on the last wave coming, and just as it begins washing back....look for a shadow like in that wave, with a little practice you can spot a school of them. Most of the time it does no good to dig for them till you see this school in the wave. When you do, rush to that spot and take your rake and dig down as far as you can get that rake to go...wash the sand out and you will sometimes have several dozen...enough to fish with all day if you find several schools. Down here, many of the sport fishing stores carry the flea rake, couple different sizes. 

Wow 17 inch whiting and you threw them out?

They made a big comeback in S Jersey this summer after many years of only showing up for a couple weeks. 

So nice to be catching dinner daily.  

No limits for size or how many   in Jersey.

BTW, I believe their return may have something tp do with climate change. 

I just grab them in the surf, all sizes are plentiful on S Jersey beaches.  

Fluke like them as well, actually all of the surf feeding fish eat anything in the wash.

I've caught a big striper on one in the wash.

10 hours ago, flyrad10 said:

Plenty of mole crabs at Robert Moses and Jones Beach surf beaches but I never caught a fish on one. Might be I was casting them too far out.

Could be a couple a reasons for that.  A full-sized mole crab from this area would be too big for Kingfish.  You might try cutting them into smaller pieces.  Also, I've never caught any Kingfish east of Jones Beach.

20 hours ago, gadabout said:

Could be a couple a reasons for that.  A full-sized mole crab from this area would be too big for Kingfish.  You might try cutting them into smaller pieces.  Also, I've never caught any Kingfish east of Jones Beach.

We have them on north shore this year. 

First time every on NS. From shore fishing for progies. Posted on this thread last week. Had some 15 inchers today on the SS.  This will be my last trip for them.   Fun to catch and hunt.  Next time whiting in Florida....

20190723_164338.jpg

20190806_145556.jpg

22 hours ago, Chrisabbatiello said:

First time every on NS. From shore fishing for progies. Posted on this thread last week. Had some 15 inchers today on the SS.  This will be my last trip for them.   Fun to catch and hunt.  Next time whiting in Florida....

Was it on clam?

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Fishbites are great for Whiting (Kingfish) down here. I like the shrimp, but I imagine Clam or the like may work well up there. 

Not sure where you our but also like to use shrimp for whiting down in Florida. Kings/whiting or great bait for large fish and eating too.  Just to many bones thou.

Edited by Chrisabbatiello