Gooch88

Kingfish

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Down here in North Carolina, sand fleas are great Blood worms and shrimp next. A 17" down here will push 3 lbs and a citation. Several years ago I caught a 17" that weighted 2.13 lb, and If am not mistaken the state record for Virginia is 2.13 lb. Think our record is 3.4 lb or there about. 

3 mins ago, Waydown said:

Down here in North Carolina, sand fleas are great Blood worms and shrimp next. A 17" down here will push 3 lbs and a citation. Several years ago I caught a 17" that weighted 2.13 lb, and If am not mistaken the state record for Virginia is 2.13 lb. Think our record is 3.4 lb or there about. 

I have caught them in NC as well.  They are actually a different species.  Almost identical to the northern ones, but don’t have the barred pattern on the sides.

i don’t doubt that worms make a good bait, but it’s not necessary to spend that much $$.  When the kingfish are around, I have caught all I wanted on small pieces of fresh clam.

38 mins ago, gadabout said:

I have caught them in NC as well.  They are actually a different species.  Almost identical to the northern ones, but don’t have the barred pattern on the sides.

i don’t doubt that worms make a good bait, but it’s not necessary to spend that much $$.  When the kingfish are around, I have caught all I wanted on small pieces of fresh clam.

We have the northerns down here also, and the silver ones called whiteing....catch both and somethings they can be caught together. Never fished with with clam...have to give that a try. Do you have sand fleas up there? 

Yeah, but bait shops don’t sell them.  I’ll  occasionally snag one in the surf, but they are a lot bigger here.  Too big for kingfish bait if you used one whole.

15 hours ago, Waydown said:

Those are big kings.  nice.  I never weighed one.   

Check their bellies.  I find that sandfleas make up just about 100% of their diet when I canth them.

Use whole or part.  anything small soft and white or yellow.  I caught plenty on kingfish intestines, which look wormish.

POint is, they are opportuniistic in the wash.  Whats there?  Pieces of worms, mole crabs, broken critters, clams...

Good eatin.

gadabout, we dig for the sand fleas in the sand, can see them wash up on the beach, then take a flea rake and dig down in the wash and rake them up out of the sand. Put them in a bucket of sand and live for days.

10 hours ago, gadabout said:

Interesting.  I’ve never seen anybody do that here.  I suspect they’re not as plentiful.

Mole crabs are crazy abundant.. ya never dug them as a kid ?  The millions of them in the sand in the wash 

I don’t fish that area much but gotta imagine they loaded up on any open beach on south shore .. go dig quickly right at where the waters washing over , they quick lil suckers but gotta be there 

Some years they seemed to be more around then others.  I usually catch them as by catch but have to change my method.  I like worms but gulp will work just fine. This is my first year I gotten a few on the north shore sound area. I did not think they traveled or liked rocky areas.  Learn something new all the time.

8 hours ago, gadabout said:

No, not really.  I lived near Jamaica Bay as a kid.  No mole crabs (sand fleas)  there.

I grew up fishing Jbay.  I never saw any on the backside but then again I never knew to look for them.  However, I always came across plenty on the ocean side.